How and what age does an item become a "lovie"?

My son is 3 months today. Id like to find something that helps soothe him as well as helps him realize its bedtime. He likes to be swaddled still, so that works real well (thank God for those swaddle blankets!!) He will not take a paci or his thumb; though sucks on his fists a lot!
So, I was thinking of a lovie. How do i introduce this and at what point does it become a "lovie" and not just any old item?? Get what i mean?

Thanks in advance,
Dawn~~

momof2gs

Asked by momof2gs at 6:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I made my son a blanket when he was about 7 or 8 months old. I would put it on him every night and with every nap. I also took it with us when we went some places. I never gave him any other blanket. He was attached to it within a few days.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• They actually pick their lovie. My son did not get attached to his blanket until he was closer to 8 months old, and he picked it out from a wide variety of blankets he has. Even to this day, at 14 months old, he is still attached to that thing. It has gotten to the point where it's rough from being in the wash so much... I tried to offer him another blanket and he threw a fit until he got his monkey lovey back. (It's a brown polka-dot blanket with a monkey on it.) Just watch him, sometimes within the next six months or so, you'll probably see him drag a toy or a blanket around with him. It's so cute.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 5:57 AM on Aug. 16, 2009