Have you ever considered giving your child up for adoption?

Like during a tantrum or when you lost sleep in the middle of the night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Adoption

• Nope. Never.
    I get irritated during a huge tantrum, but I never think "Gee... I wish I could just put him up for adoption."
    I worked too hard to bring him into this world, I won't let him go that easily. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Not to mention that he's the star of my life... the apple of me eye, etc.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Just with the one I am pregnant with now. I have health problems and am in no place to raise another child. We already have 3 others. But, I took steps to make a better life for my family and I. Enrolled in nursing school, hubby enrolled in wind turbine tech program. So in about 1-3 years we will see how it turns out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• NO, especially since I am in process of adopting him, LOL! It's kind of a one way street. But, I would see if my sister could watch him to give me a break for a couple of hours if I was turning cranky. I hope you aren't serious, but if you are....then you DEFINITELY need a break! How old is he/she? Are you married? Do you have someone you can call?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Yes, with the one I'm pregnant with now. My husband wanted another and talked me into it, he has this power over me.. I wanted to wait. This baby effects him in no way. I'm the one who's going to take care of it, never mind the 9 excruciating months of pregnancy. I really still don't want another child, I am happy with the one I have and I don't think I could possibly love another child as much as I love her, but I'm sure it will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Oh, no never! I've felt like a bad mom at times, but not after having my baby and bringing my baby home. Things are going to be hard and that's life.

I think it's ok if your pregnant and your considering giving your child up for adoption.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• You're kidding right? You dont seriously consider giving your kid away FOREVER because they are having a moment you cant deal with! As a mother who did have a child adopted away forever it makes me cringe to hear such talk. You have no idea what it means.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• There are some times when I'm annoyed or irritated with my kids, but no, I don't consider putting any one of them up for adoption. If you're pregnant and considering adoption for that child, that's totally fine, just stick with your guts.
    LeviM

Answer by LeviM at 8:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• "If you're pregnant and considering adoption for that child, that's totally fine, just stick with your guts. "

Many mothers who have relinquished children to adoption realize that it most definitely is NOT "totally fine". Too many people who don't understand adoption encourage moms and say that it is okay to place their children for adoption. Those of us who have relinquished know better. It is a monumental decision to place a child for adoption, and not one to be undertaken without extensive education about the effects on mothers and their children.

Only if a mother is unable or unwilling to parent should she consider adoption. I would question the mindset of any mother who considers placing her child for adoption after a tantrum. Makes sense that you might need to get a babysitter and get away more often if a tantrum is getting to you, but thoughts of adoption after a tantrum don't make much sense.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 9:56 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Anon. 6:22 I had an unplanned third pregnancy and my son is now six months old. Neither my husband and I wanted a baby at this point but we both adore him just as we adore our first two. I was also afraid I wouldn't love my second as much as I loved my first but when you have the second third etc baby you can't imagine not having them. Your capacity for love is not bound by any limits. I'm starting my nursing pre-reqs this fall and having this unplanned baby in our family has not ruined our life in any way. He is a blessing for all of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2009