sam....

my daughter is 31 and has a daughter...she is 15 months old.she is not walking ...my daughter and her husband both woth full time.(i think you have to these days)she is also not really talking .i told her this and she flipped/they both had learning dis. growing up.i forget is this normal. when do they usually walk and talk.i know every baby is different but what is the average.i remember all 3 were at least walking before now.talking hmm not so much.except my middle she talked in the womb/////

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son didn't walk until he was seventeen months old and everyone had me scared to death!!! Now he is a healthy five year old that is the fastest runner of all the kindergarten kids in his school! I wouldn't worry and just be supportive if it does come to anything! All kids are different! My sisters son walked at nine months but he didn't talk til he was almost two! My son said about twenty words before he was ten months old! You just can't ever tell!
    EmmasMama723

Answer by EmmasMama723 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• what does the pedi say? make sure to bring these things up at every checkup.. yes kids are different but you never really know.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My oldest daughter walked before her 1rst birthday but my youngest didn't show an interest in walking until about 15 months, even though she could walk around 9 months. I think it just depends. As far as talking, my oldest could say 10 words by a year old and my youngest only says a few and she is 17 months. I think again it just depends on the child.
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 8:58 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't worry as long as the baby is showing interest in it, especially the walking. If it concerns you or them ask the baby's doc. Also, try making a game out of walking, hold the baby under the arms and have him walk to someone else and make a deal out of it when he makes it there. After he gets really convident start letting go, but with your hands right there to catch him if he starts to topple over, and of course always make a big deal (clapping and praise) when he achieves anything even if its an almost step before he falls. He may just need a little push to get started...I did this with my daughter because she had a problem with one of her legs and didn't want to even try to walk, but she was walking by the time she was a year-old...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 9:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• These days the doctors usually want them to have SOME form of mobility by 12 months. Not necessarily walking, or even crawling, even scooting. Ours walked early (9 m/o) but didn't talk until 25 months. Our nephew started walking at 15 months, but started talking at 12 months (mama) and he had a pretty extensive vocabulary at 16 months (he's VERY advanced on this, per his doctor), and his mom talks to him constantly. So you shouldn't be worried just yet. Voice your concerns to the doctor, but she sounds on track to me. You are right that they all go at their own pace. It's good to be aware.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• The reference guide I use, "What to Expect The Toddler Years" is a great place to find all your answers to Milestones in Development. They carry it at any bookstore and also Wal-Mart. I checked and it said that the average baby will take their first steps between thirteen and fifteen months. Some may be earlier, some maybe later(16plus) They refer to past 18 months as being delayed. They just say to encourage her to practice prewalking skills. Encourage her to pull up by holding onto your hands, the bars of the crib, the coffee table and then help her to cruise around chairs, tables, etc. Make sure she doesn't spend to much time in a playpen, stroller,etc. Allow her to go barefoot, avoid walkers as they become dependent of them. Lastly, ask the doctor at the next checkup. As far as her speech, the book says that the first words may come before 12 months or after 24 months. Children vary greatly.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I also know that with speech delays with the children I work with, it is important to make sure that your granddaughter is not having hearing problems or constant ear infections. If her ears have fluid or infection frequently, that does change they way she hears your speech. With fluid in ears, what she hears you say sound like she is underwater. The sounds are distored. Many kids I work with that have speech delays have had a history of ear infections or allergies that kept their ears clogged up.

I think it also helps kids learn to talk if you talk to them. I always talked to my girls about everything that was going on around them. As I dress them, I talked about what I was doing, and about body parts, as they ate we talked about what they were doing and what they were eating. You talk to them just like you would any other person and label everything they see, and do. This introduces them to the words they need.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2009