For Christians: Do you beleive this too?

Ok, I was talking to my dh's cousin and he basically said that it was all Eve's fault that mankind was banished from the garden of Eden. Needless to say, I don't agree with that particular sentiment, but I let it go. But I was wondering how many of you ladies feel guilty about manykind being banished from the garden of Eden?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They were equally to blame, in my mind. Yes, Eve fell for the serpent's tricks,and ate the apple,and offered it to Adam, who DID NOT have to take it! So, as I said, they are both responsible.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Its both...Adam and Eve. Altho Eve had the choice Adam also did not step up to the plate and tell Eve that God said what He said and meant it. Thus the reason Adam was banished from Eden. He should have stood up but he let Eve make the choice for both of them and it cost both of them dearly.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• And I brought that up, and his response was that Eve gained the knowledge of seduction when she ate the fruit, so it was still her fault!
    I know WHY he believes the way he does. It has alot to do with the church he goes to. But I wonder how many of his relatives know what and how he believes. See, he was raised a Catholic and has know made a drastic change.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Lol....I'm certainly going to have my say to Eve one day......hahaha...Seriously though..it was an equally shared disobedience to the Lord. Yes, Eve allowed the serpent to tempt her, but Adam did the exact same thing by allowing Eve to tempt him. He could have said "no." He didn't, and as a result both were banished from the Garden of Eden forever....and all the descendants ever since have had to suffer and endure horrible hardships because of their weakness.
    Why would you listen to a talking snake anyway???? LOL...thanks Eve !!!
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i do agree it was eve's fault but it was meant to happen and eve was the smarter one of the two to realize that this would be better for man kind. adam had to partake of the fruit cause if he didn't then he would be disobeying another commandment that the lord set and that is that he should have a mate and one day procreate. so he felt that he should obey that over obeying of not eating the fruit. if they hadn't then we wouldn't be here and there would be no good or no evil. her reasoning was more convincing then that of satan. satan just said to take of the fruit so that you would have your eyes opened and know thruth from darkness and good and evil.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Why would I feel guilty? It's not like I had a decision in the matter. Your dh's cousin is an idiot. Adam is responsible for his own actions. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Eve and a snake wrestled Adam to the ground and force fed him tainted apples. Seduction is the typical male cop out. It's the same argument and mentality that was used to condemn women of witchcraft during the Salem witch trials. Weak men hate to take responsibility for their own actions and love to blame it on the closest women around.
    BTW, if you see him heading towards ya dragging a stake and holding a book of matches put on your tennis shoes and RUN!
    Carr600

Answer by Carr600 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• haha no i dont feel guilty. i had a shirt for a while that had a bite taken out of an apple & at the bottom said "my bad! -Eve"

if Adam hadnt have sinned too, he would have stayed in the garden. but leave it to a man to blame a woman's seductive powers on humanity being kicked outta the garden :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I accept the concept of original sin in the sense that we inherit a sin nature. I do not accept the concept of inherited sin (and before my anontorage accuses me of pen-knifing the Bible again, please read Ezekiel 18. God, via Ezkiel explicitly states that he does not punish children for the sins of their parents and bans the use of the Proverb "The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge"). Therefore, I do not feel guilty for the sin of Eve. It's a shame the world suffers the consequences of another person's sin (which is not the same as being punished FOR another person's sin) but we are each judged on our own sin, not by another's.

I also disagree that it was completely Eve's fault. I think Adam and Eve each had their own responsibility in the matter.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• yeah i agree it is both of them not just one... Eve did not say eat from the tree adam or i will kill you LOL its free will and he did it...
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Anontorage. That's freaking brilliant, November; thanks for the laugh!

I think the implied blame falling solely in Eve is indicative of the patriarchal society of the era. When many themes and stories were usurped or filtered down from matriarchal societies, they were twisted in this manner, and this one is no different.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009