Taking a 1 year old's temperature....

I was just wondering, what is the best way to take a 1 year old's temperature? I took my LO's temperature under her arm earlier, and got a reading of 100. I honestly don't know how accurate an underarm reading is. I am so worried about her. I think she may be cutting her molars, but I'm not positive. I really hope that is what is causing this! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The best place is rectally! I know that sucks but it is the only way to be accurate! Just make sure that you don't insert it to far and use vasoline so it won't hurt as badly!!! I hope she feels better!
    EmmasMama723

Answer by EmmasMama723 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• For a child less than 15 mos old or so, rectally is more accurate. Over that, under the arm is fine. If you want to try it rectally, then make sure you clean the thermo. with alcohol and put some KY jelly or vaseline on it. Only put it in about 1/2 inch or so. It shouldnt hurt at all. It might annoy them more than anything. See what you get there, but if the temp is already 100 under the arm, the likely it will only be higher. Being that you already know that the child has a fever, I dont think its really necessary to recheck it. Unless you want it to go over a certain amt before you give tylenol. If youre going to give it anyway, then I would wait awhile. If you sense its gone up, then try it rectally and see what you get. Its usually just a touch more accurate. Hope your baby feels better soon.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• We always did armpit; just add one degree.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i agree with the ones above..rectally is the best way ...hope your little one feel better
    amiyamom

Answer by amiyamom at 9:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Rectally is the best way, but after one i always did under the arm and just added a degree. I think is is accurate enough. I did it with all 3 of mine and they were always fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• For a wiggly child, armpit is better than a possible injury. A fever is a fever, and you can go ahead and give the Tylenol or Motrin, because IF it's molars they are PAINFUL, so your child may need the pain relief as well as the fever reducer. Then re-check in a while. Does she have any other symptoms of something else? Runny nose, sneezing, coughing, etc? If not, then maybe it's just the teething. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:56 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• * 100.4° Fahrenheit (38° Celsius) measured rectally (in the bottom)
    * 99.5° Fahrenheit (37.5° Celsius) measured orally (in the mouth)
    * 99° Fahrenheit (37.2° Celsius) measured in an axillary position (under the arm)
    those are the standards for the different ways to take a fever. if its higher than these than it is considered to be a fever. and if i remember correctly you are supposed to add 1 degree to an underarm temp and subtract one from a rectal. (i was trying to google it and can't find anything other than that a underarm temp can be as much as 2 degrees less than a rectal temp)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I always take it recatally.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 11:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Thanks ladies! I tried googling it without any luck, but I'd much rather have the advise from someone who has been here first hand anyhow. I was kind of afraid to take her temp rectally because she is such a wiggle worm. My daughter doesn't have any other symptoms than just a fever, and she's been chewing her little fingers on the side of her mouth, so... I hope it's just teething. Everything I've read says teething doesn't cause fevers, but most mom's say differently. I feel so badly for her!!=( Anyhow, Thank you all so much!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Aug. 16, 2009