What is the best computer to buy to do 3D drafting?

I'm trying to use a 3D home design program and my computer is not capable of doing the 3D part. It is a big problem for my goal. Cafemoms, I need your expertise!! What is the best computer I can buy that will do my 3D home design without a hitch?

zweedledee

Asked by zweedledee at 6:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Shopping

• A Dell Workstation.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• a computer with large RAM, fast processor...btw, what is your ram at the moment? u can upgrade that before deciding to get a new 1
    savingjmom

Answer by savingjmom at 4:27 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• To handle 3D graphics, it really depends on the program you're using and the file sizes you're going to be typically handling. When you're buying a computer, it's best to buy bigger than you think you need.

I used to use AutoCAD R.13 and R.14. For those, I'd look for something that can use Pentium Dualcore processors, a high-end video card, at least 4 gigs of RAM (and if you can afford it, 8 gigs), and have anywhere from 50-100 gigs of open drive space.

I've used a lot of Dells, and frankly, not really impressed. Anything you buy off the shelf is going to have a lot of problems, simply because they like to use integrated chipsets and boards off the motherboard - which means upgrading it yourself is nearly impossible and if something blows out (like a sound or video card), your whole motherboard may have to be replaced.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• CONT:

If you have the money and the tech know-how, you're better off going to someplace like Fry's and building your own. It's frustrating, but at least if you fry up a component, you can replace it a lot easier and cheaper.

But, if that's not an option....

Any computer that is advertised for "gaming" should be able to handle your graphics load for that. The computer doesn't care if you're rastering a 3D image to blow up aliens or to design a bridge.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009