I am taking my 4 month old to the beach for the first time. Is it true I cant put sunscreen on him yet? and what kinda things should I do for him for protecting him from the sun? I know a hat of course but wanted some ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No sunscreen until 6 months because of their skin.

Keeping him in the shade will help,but remember that one can still burn while in the shade.

Long sleeves, long pants, socks, hat, exposure as little as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• my dd pedi said no sunscreen. my daughter got these bumps all over her one time and i personally think it was from sunscreen. now i dont put it on her, but she has a robe that i will put on her to keep the sun from hitting her too much but i keep it wet so she stays cool. she also has a floaty thing with an umbrella over it so sun doesnt hit her. if i take her out though i put a hat on her and thats all. some sun is good for everyone but not too much and a good idea is to bring a spay bottle with water in it to cool her off.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Buy some UV protective clothing. They are more expensive but safer than sunscreen for a baby, and a hat is a MUST.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• No sunscreen, but light, full coverage clothing will do the trick. When my kids were babies, we diped their toes in the water to keep them cool, but if there are big waves, I wouldn't recommend doing that.
    LeviM

Answer by LeviM at 9:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I put sunscreen on my son at that age... it was only one time and I thought the risks of sunburn were worse than the risk of sunscreen on a too young of baby. I bought Aveno because I thought it was probably the safest for his skin.
    I kept him in the shade as much as possible. And we had a hat on him.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:18 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• why not bring an beach umbrella

Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:32 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• can you do like a light (white)long sleeve shirt or onesie? This is what i put on my 4 month onld in the pool with a pair of swim shorts and a hat.

I would skip the sunscreen to many chemicals on their sensitive skin..Have fun!!
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 10:33 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• ive been taking my DD to the pool since she was 8 weeks and we live in TX. my midwife said YES to sunscreen. :] we just lather it on. put a hat on her and swim around in the shade mostly.

bring a hat.and an umbrella
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 11:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009