HOW CAN I WEEN MY 17MTH OLD SON OFF HIS PACIFER?

HE'S PRETTY ADDICTED TO IT, HE CAN'T FALL ASLEEP WITHOUT IT

JBsMOM2007

Asked by JBsMOM2007 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i don't know, my son is 13 mos, and i'm ready to get him off his too! When you find something that works, let me know!
    yasabree

Answer by yasabree at 4:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My daughter was two years old when I took her paci away. Neither one of us was ready, but she chewed through her last one (she liked Soothies). I wasn't about to run out and buy another one, so she went to bed without it. We had been out all day and she missed her nap, so she was too exhausted to even realize her paci wasn't there. We never looked back and she has not missed it one bit. Cold turkey worked the best for us.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 4:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Do it cold turkey. That's what we did for my son. The first night will be tough but each day gets better. Do not give in. That is the key to it not to give in.
    soshie

Answer by soshie at 4:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• idk...my son didn't get rid of his until he was almost 2. he was actually exactly 22 1/2 months old before he gave his up. i tried several times to take his from him.

actually how i got him to give his up was one day when we were getting ready to eat lunch i took it from him and put it up where he couldn't see it. then he never asked for it until he next day so i just occupied him with something so he would get his mind off of it. then about three days later he asked for it again and i did the same thing. then he asked ofr it less and less til he didn't ask for it at all...
    rissa_mommyof2

Answer by rissa_mommyof2 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• When my son was 13mo we took it away cold turkey. He was very attached to it. If it fell out of his mouth at night he would scream. I didn't give it to him all day, and at night it took him maybe 15min longer to fall asleep. He woke up 3 times that night, but one of us just went in and talked to him a little bit. He was over it in a day.
    Carrie06

Answer by Carrie06 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My son never did the pacifier thing but did and still does suck his thumb. We just started limiting where he could do it. First eliminating everywhere but church, car and bed. Then dropped church. Then dropped car until he could only suck his thumb if he was sleeping. He will eventually drop it completely on his own. If you are really worried try having him collect them all himself and give them to a friend who has just had a baby because he is a 'big boy' now and the new baby needs them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2008