How do you comfort this?

Our 7 yr old lost her cat of 6 years yesterday afternoon, we placed her grave next to the house so our Jenae could "see" her anytime she wants, she is now out reading her cat a story... drawing pictures and crying ... we are doing our best to give her the support to mourn her loss .... any ideas on comfort for her would be valued...

BlessingsBegin

Asked by BlessingsBegin at 9:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• it sounds like she is doing just fine...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Oh my. There are tears in my eyes as I write this. Gosh.

I am thinking that letting her talk about the loss as much as she wishes. She should understand that the cat is not alive there. If she would think that the cat is living there, it could cause problems. In a week or so, likely the dear child will think less often of her furry friend. She has to mourn in her own way.

Answer by Bmat at 9:13 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• maybe in a couple weeks ask her is she wants another cat. she sounds like she is greiving well right now
    ARRI23

Answer by ARRI23 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• tell her u will get her an other one when she is ready.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I think she is doing just fine. Sounds normal. Let some time go by and she might want another cat. That is sweet that she is reading to the cat.
    momof1boy

Answer by momof1boy at 4:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2009