would you let your 10 year old dress like this?

my SD when we picked her up from school friday had on black leggings< sheer enough that i could tell her undies were purple!> and a black halter top, that showed her tummy!

i took her home and made her change! how in any sence is that approipate for a 10 year old?

granted we only have her EOW.. but honestly! i know all the latest trends are geared more for older kids but there is a way to make them to any age! and that wasnt it!

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:11 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• nope my princess will not be allowed to dress like that.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 9:15 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• no because your kids are a reflection of you.. dress trashy= trashy parent, dressed dirty=dirty parent ect.
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Hell to the no! Not until she is 18 and legally an adult.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 10:47 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Not even at 18 in my house!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Goes without saying for me - but for others you need to spell somethings out. Whomever bought her that outfit needs to be told that she is just 10 yrs old and while some trends are acceptable she still need to dress and look her age. I would purchase some thicker more opaque leggings and one of those shirts that are long enough to cover her tush. We purchase an outfit like that for my 11yr old from Justice For Girls but trust me the leggings weren't see thru and the shirt came in the mid thigh range.

She felt a tad bit more grown up (without looking grown) and mommy, daddy and grandma felt like it was letting her express herself and stay pretty covered at the same time. Plus with 40% off of everything we bought we all left happy.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 7:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• That doesnt sound very trendy. That sounds like she dressed herself and is under the weird impression that it looks good. Sometimes girls dont know what looks good. I dont know why these other moms are saying that some trends wont be allowed in their house. This is not a trend. I have a teen and tween and I promise you...this is not a trend. This is just a girl putting on whatever she wanted and no one bothered to check her clothes before she left. In fact, most schools would have sent her home if her stomach was showing. I have seen more inappropriate clothing from kids who dont have parents who can afford much and are very poor or those who simply dont care or dont know what really looks good. I say, buy her some new clothes and make sure she takes care of them and wears them and move on. Sometimes its just more ignorance that causes this and not a blatant desire to look trashy.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• my daughter is going to wear a jean skirt and top....i would let her wear the leggings but get her a cute tunic top that are in style and they are long ......
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• momfosaee...

her mother drives her to school, so she knew what she looked like when they left the house. and yes leggings are whats trendy now, along with the skinny jeans and stuff.. we will not be buying her any more clothes, we bought her over $200 at the start of summer and she "lost" them..
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:46 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I am surprised that the school did not send her home. All schools have dress codes and even the most easy going do not allow the tummy to show at any age. If she is allowed to dress in this manner so young then the clothes only get smaller and skimpier as she gets older. Now is a great time to start teaching her to take pride in herself and the way she dresses. I had one at 13 that thought the only clothes in style were the most reveling. I took her and three of her friends, of which I approved their clothing, window shopping and with their input picked out two outfits. Showed her how to mix and match them and explained on her level why they were appropriate instead of the clothing she picked herself. Peer pressure can be used in a positive manner. I would get a copy of the schools dress code and give it to her mother. Or better if you can have the school send it so you are not involved. Good luck
    Gemaof4

Answer by Gemaof4 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Absolutely inappropriate, I would encourage your DH to speak to his ex about this....he has a right to express his opinions.

Also, I would encourage her at your house to dress appropriately and praise her, tell her how nice she looks, etc. when she is dressed appropriately.
    speaktruth2powr

Answer by speaktruth2powr at 7:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2009