How old can a formula fed infant be when you can start them on rice cereal?

I breastfed my first and he was 3 months when I started him, it just seemed like he was starving, and my 6 week old seems like formula just isn't enough anymore. Whats a good age to start on rice cereal?

babygirl9304627

Asked by babygirl9304627 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Six months is the recommned age. I would not feed cereal before that.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I was told by my child's doc that I could start with 2 teaspoons 2 times a day starting at 4 months.
    jasey929

Answer by jasey929 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• 4 months and he ate like 4 table spoons of it hes a lil piggy so different from his older brother
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My doc and many others have said 4 to 6 months but my DS is 2 months and I started just putting a little in his bottle at night when he was 6weeks and it seemed to help...when I don't put any in now it seems like he wants to eat every 2 hours. And I just measured with the scoop out of the formula.
    konnorsmommy09

Answer by konnorsmommy09 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• When my baby was like 2months old I started putting cereal mixed in her bottle maybe once a day, like at night, just to see how it would effect her. She just never seemed full! It seemed to help a lot. She slept longer and it seemed to keep her fuller longer. I only put like 1 tbsp in 4-5 ounces. It did sometimes constipate her a little bit but your doctor will tell you to help that mix 1 ounce prune or apple juice with 1 ounce water. To actually spoon feed they say 4 months. Look at the chart on babycenter.com on an age-by-age feeding guidline for a start if u need some help.
    Another way to look at it is that babies go through growth and eating spurts and they can last a few days to a few weeks so if youre not comfortable then just ask your doctor. But I recommend the bottle feedings. My mom told me to do it, and that nights sleep was great. :)
    MsMallory09

Answer by MsMallory09 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I wanted to add to the response above about the no soy,no nuts, allergy stuff... it says on the boxes of cereal that by feeding your baby cereal twice daily they get the recommended amount of iron for the age 4 months and beyond so DONT JUST SKIP IT and go to solids!... and the no soy is nuts. My child is on a soy formula due to lactose issues and is strong and healthy. Babies are hungry and they tell you when they are ready. You cant decide it, you just need to keep them full :)
    MsMallory09

Answer by MsMallory09 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• mu daughters doc told me if its in her bottle 3 months is fine, however on a spoon 4 months. that goes for fruits and veggies to, bur only introduce one at a time a few days apart so allergies dont develope.
    Mommy2Layla08

Answer by Mommy2Layla08 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• 6 months but def NO earlier than 4
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 10:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• 4 mts the 6 mts rule is for bf babies
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2009