4 year old WILL NOT poop on the toilet!

My boyfriends son is 4 years old, and WILL NOT POOP ON THE POTTY! We have tried everything from taking toys, outside priviledges, favorite clothes, everything! We've even tried giving him new toys if he goes, small prizes or a really bi prize. He always goes at inconvienent times, and if he's watching Tv and poops, we'll say, "why didn't you use the potty?" And he ALWAYS says "because I want to play or watch TV." I don't know if he's lazy or what..

LovinKassy247

Asked by LovinKassy247 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter does that when she is anxious, she stops using the potty. We sit down and talk about what ever over and over until I figure out what it is then we discuss it in length. I come up with something that makes her feel better and then it is over. But she is completely potty trained. If he isn't potty trained to poop in the potty. Then completely ignore it, you have done everything positive you can think of so just ignore it and make him clean up the mess, he is old enough and has enough control to pee so it is a mental thing.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:02 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• what Devilln said is true if you dont try and make him he will do it on his own. I know you might not want to hear it but its true. I asked a similar question like this 9 months ago about my 3 year old [then 2] I asked how can get him to potty train and how he never goes even if I try and make him. Then one day he went own his own!
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My 4yr old girl started off well and now she's having the same problem. It's a hard subject because sometimes if you punish them for it, it can cause constipation because they don't want to go at all. She even goes and hides when she poops her pants. It's like, you know you're doing it, you have the energy to go hide, go hide in the bathroom LOL. Try not to associate it with a bad thing. Try to talk to him often, remind him, and also talk to him and ask him why when he has an accident. We can't help a mental issue until we figure out what it is.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• You need to make it a routine by taking him to the bathroom, a bit like training a puppy!
    Eventually it will become habit to him.
    By taking things away and giving gifts etc you are making it into a big deal. Treat it just as another part of the days routine and you will soon be over this little hurdle.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 11:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2009