Breaking the news to a friend who miscarried

I'm due in March 2010 and have known for about a month.. I haven't broken the news to anyone (except the proud daddy), because with my first pregnancy I decided to wait until the 2nd trimester to tell friends & family. But the first time I did tell my best friend early on.... and I would love to tell her now too! But she was trying for a baby and had a miscarriage several months ago... her baby was supposed to be due this August. I know she's been going through a very rough time losing the baby, she's been depressed; and I have no idea how to approach telling her I'm expecting my second child. I'm worried about hurting her feelings -- even though I know she loves me and would be overjoyed for me -- how do I approach this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• try to bring her hopes up by telling her that she will get pregnant and have a baby and yalls kids and grow up together and also i would approach her by saying something i know you are having a hard time right now but i want to ask you something would you be interested in being a godmother bc i am having a baby and would really like for you too be apart of our lives so its like she is gaining something too, thats if you want.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:17 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I would wait until after this month, her due month. Then approach her with it gently. And maybe encourage her, that it will happen for her when the time is right.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Make it very personable when you tell her. I was in the same situation as your friend and my best cousin told everybody else before me. I felt very betrayed by her as well as the emotional stress I was already under. Then, I put my focus into helping her with her babyshower and being supportive of her.

She might be going through a hard time, but if she's a good friend she'll still be happy for you. Let her know she can come babysit anytime LOL. And after you tell her, make sure your conversations aren't all about you and the baby. Include her, talk about other subjects, and ask her how she's doing.

I'm sure she'll understand.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• she'll still be happy for you, my best friend didn't want kids got pregnant and i found out 3 months later i was pregnant well i lost my baby and she had hers. she was very uncomfortable talking to me about her pregnancy for about a month and a half til i explained that it wasn't her fault i miscarried and it had nothing to do with her. i was still happy for her and eventually when it was my time i had my daughter. i would wait til after this month though, its a harder time when you are sitting there going i should have a baby right now. if shes a good friend, she'll be happy for you and you as a good friend just need to remember to not beat around the bush about your baby and to still do other things together not baby related.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Maybe when u start to show, then like hang out with her and let her ask u if ur pregnant
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2009