help with baby cereal

my daughter is 4 months old and eating six or plus oz at a feeding and ive tried putting rice cereal in her bottle and im not sure how much im suppose to give her to keep her full shes still eating alot every 2hours help

alaina_20

Asked by alaina_20 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• putting cereal in a abottle makes it a choking hazard. I would just spoon feed your baby.
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 10:22 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• When my baby was like 2months old I started putting cereal mixed in her bottle maybe once a day, like at night, just to see how it would effect her. She just never seemed full! It seemed to help a lot. She slept longer and it seemed to keep her fuller longer. I only put like 1 tbsp in 4-5 ounces. It did sometimes constipate her a little bit but your doctor will tell you to help that mix 1 ounce prune or apple juice with 1 ounce water. To actually spoon feed they say 4 months. Look at the chart on babycenter.com on an age-by-age feeding guidline for a start if u need some help.
    If your baby is 4 months old I would start a nightly or morning feeding of cereal from a spoon, the box tells you how much to use for first feedings, and see if it makes a difference. My baby is 5 months old now and eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner cereal servings along with several ounces of formula. its the only way i can keep her full.
    MsMallory09

Answer by MsMallory09 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• youre not supposed to put cereal in a bottle you should spoon feed her 3-4x a day (breakfast lunch dinner snack) -- you need to revamp your feeding and add in some play time you know belly time tickle time bath time that sort of stuff
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• its not a choking hazard. thats why they make bottles with an "x" cut in the nipple instead of the regular hole, although if you use as much as I said above you wont need it. its still runny enough to come even out of a slow flow nipple.
    MsMallory09

Answer by MsMallory09 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• im a pediatric nurse and it IS a choking hazard! do NOT give it to her that way, unless your child has GERD, otherwise there is no need, it does NOT make them sleep longer, also at 4 months they really don't need it anyways, not till 6 months but if you insist on doing it, spoon feed it and if she doesn't take to it she is not ready for it
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• rkoloms! thanks! that was the book i kept meaning to check out! I think I will skip cereal bc it really has no nutritional value. Plus i think vegetables should have more flavor. Im gonna get that book asap bc my baby is gonna be ready soon for some food! lol
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:28 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• rkoloms- One more thing, does the book say anything about how much formula a baby should be getting each stage? My baby is 4.5 months and he has about 32 ounces a day , hes prolly 18 pounds though, hes really long. I always get confused bout how much he is eating if its enough....he cries after 8 ounces sometimes but then settles down. the WIC info I have says anywhere from 30-48 ounces so its not much help.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• 4.5 months needs about 30-48 id say five to six 7oz bottles (creditably..nurse)
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• 6-8 oz. bottles at 4 months isn't too much at all. At that age I would not put rice in her bottle, especially without a pediatrician consult.
    At 4 months old, she may be ready to eat rice cereal from a spoon. I prefer the infant spoons that have a rubber coating on the spoon part. Begin with 1 tablespoon of rice cereal and mix in formula or breastmilk until creamy, but not liquidy or too thick. Just pick up a tiny amount on the spoon and place it on baby's tongue. Not too far back or she may choke, but not too far forward or she'll push it out.
    You can place her in a bouncy seat to feed her or sit her up in a boppy. Have a washcloth on hand and place a big on her. Let her get used to the taste and texture and talk to her. Animate your face and open your mouth when you present the cereal on the spoon to her so she may mimic you. Make the "Mmmm!" or "Yummy!" sounds so she'll know it is good.
    Have fun!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2009