5 months baby sucking his thumb

My 5 months baby start sucking his since he is 4 months old. At first I think it cute but now he is sucking 24 hours a day even after I feed him . I try to take it out every time he try to put in his mouth but he start to fuss, he even suck when he asleep. How do I stop him since I didn't gave him the pacify since he was born . Are they gonna stop by himself?? Or what I need to do to stop this??

hungluvphuong

Asked by hungluvphuong at 10:50 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried popping a pacifier in? As much as he'll take it?

Answer by Bmat at 10:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• It is actually a good thing that he is self-soothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Try getting him to take a pacifier instead...at least you can take that away when he gets older. Are you sure he's sucking on it and not biting on it? He could be teething...
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• babies have a suck reflux so he prob wont stop anytime soon. my 4 month old sucks his fingers
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 10:52 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• ya stop one bad habit for another...hmm .. put something sour or spicy on his thumb when he will let you give it a try!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i'd get a hold on that asap
    try getting him on the pacy since that is less likely to make his teeth crooked and its easier to ween him
    Anonymous

• i agree with anon, why give one bad habit for another?
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• it's not a "bad habit".. this baby is only 5 months old. they like to suck on their fingers, it's what they do.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• it is a bad habit for when they become 1-2 years old i mean, why break one to start another, it does not make sense
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• They need to suck. So it might be a good idea to use the pacifier, as the other moms have said, since if they are still sucking something years from now, at least the pacifier can be taken away. But fingers are right there.

When my children were babies, I read to satisfy that need to suck by giving them the pacifier as much as possible, then when they are done with the need, they will spit it out, and this worked well for my children.

Answer by Bmat at 11:23 PM on Aug. 15, 2009