Anyone ever have a colposcopy?

I have to have one on the 19th. I read all the paperwork the Doc gave me about "what to expect" and such. I'm not really scared, but wanted to hear others stories. Bad, good, otherwise.

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Health

•  I've had 2 colposcopys.
    It's not bad. If you can, take some motrin 45 minutes before your appointment to take away some of the discomfort. It's basically an extended pap smear. They will put a vinegar solution on your cervix and examine it with a colposcope. They will take a biopsy of any strange looking tissue (highlighted in white from the solution).  The biopsy is what is uncomfortable. You will feel some pinching, and a little cramping.  But it goes by quickly.  After that, you will feel 'weird' down there, but by the next day you should be back to normal. 
    I had to have  a LEEP also, but now - 3 years later - I have had 3 normal paps in a row.
    Good luck!  If you have any more questions - feel free to join the 'Mom's Fighting Cervical Cancer' group.

ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 11:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i had one and the only thing is the dye i guess is what youd call it burns like hell. well it did me. i didnt have any bleeding or cramping afterword. it went pretty smooth.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 10:59 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My mother in law gave me a great tip. After you take the medicine to empty your bowels, put some diaper rash cream on your butthole because all of the pooping will chap your hieny.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• it's not bad at all. felt like a longer pap than normal for me. the dye did sting a little but not horribly. i had some slight bleeding that day but none after that. however i will say that immediately following mine i had to have a LEEP b/c they detected cancerous cells, ever since then when i get my period it is VERY heavy and horrible cramping, which i'd never had before. don't know if it was just age and changes my body would have made anyways, or if it was a side effect of one of the procedures. my doc did say it was a common side effect that for some women was lasting for others it wasn't for me it was constant for about a year and a half then only on occasion and since i've had my kids not a problem at all. (not trying to scare you, just something you may want to ask about so you are prepared for the possibility)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:06 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Anon 10:14, it's colposcopy, not colonoscopy...lol

A colposcopy is easy. I've had 3 and they don't hurt. It may be uncomfortable for a little bit but nothing major.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I've had one. It was a colposcopy and a (cone?)biopsy and the biopsy hurt quite a bit. :/ If they want/need to do cryotherapy on your cervix make them give you drugs. >.< That HURTS. Ug. I may just have a sensitive cervix though.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2009