starting solids

i saw something from a mom saying babies don't need to start solids until after 6mos and maybe even 10-12mos old. Are you SERIOUS!! my baby started eating cheerios at 9 or 10 months because he pushed baby food away from me and wanted to feed himself.i tried to wait with baby food,but started around 4mos because he breastfed almost nonstop-his metabolism must be really high... anyway, has anyone waited that long to give a baby anything other than formula or breastmilk?

ranedare

Asked by ranedare at 11:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know that things have changed since my children were babies and we are supposed to wait until 6 months before introducing baby cereals and pureed foods, but my children began at 4 months old and my granddaughter began cereal at 3 1/2 months old and had her first pureed food on the day she turned 4 months old. I spoke to her pediatrician about after I began it and she said as long as she is able to push the food back properly with her tongue and not choke, then it is perfectly fine to feed babies younger than 6 months.
    My granddaughter is now 6 months old, sits up on her own, and is still on pureed foods, but is on the 2nd Stage ones. Her pediatrician urged me to wait until she was 7 months old before I introduced meats, which I will. She also drinks water during her meals and 4 ounce formula bottles in between meals.
    Her weight & length are in the 95th%, but her weight-to-length ratio is 50% so she is absolutely perfect.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:00 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• im a pediatric nurse and yes they really do not need solids till a year, but the average is 6 months, its not used for nutrition its used as a learning tool to understand foods how to eat them and textures and what not
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• why do babies Want to eat food?
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 11:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• hmm well the bm/form. does the job of nutrition, solids are not necessary for that, but many "experts" say that if you introduce solids too late in the second half of the first year that baby could not take to them as well as starting by the recommended. They say 6 months for a reason bc baby is able to sit up and is interested in food. I dont see how anyone could hold off an entire year. my baby is hungry after 8 ounces and hes almost 5 months im about to start him on solids soon....and he stares at me when i eat lol.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:24 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• why do we? it tastes good! well not canned baby food 2 much ugh lol . i mean cheerios or formula.. id choose cheerios as well, but that is all it is
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• my DD is 8 months and still 80% bottle eats bout a 1/2 jar stage 2 foods a day that is all and then some finger stuff here and there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• my son didn't eat much when i started feeding him, but it definitely took the edge off his hunger.He literally breastfed almost nonstop since birth. He's now 13 mos,eats table food 2-3X/day with one or two bottles, and lots of breastfeeding still. it could be he's tall for his age- his dad is 6'6 and always hungry. my baby wears a size 6 shoe...
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 11:38 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• lol my 8 month old wears a size 3 shoe and 30 1/2 inches tall and 17lbs so i know what u mean bout big feet lol
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• My sister didn't really eat solids until 18 months. Yes, EIGHTEEN MONTHS. Some kids just aren't ready!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Waited till six months per doc's advice.

They are SUPPOSED to nurse constantly. Forget anything you read saying every few hours. Babies know when they need to eat...just go with it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2009