OMG COULD I HAVE HURT MY NEWBORN!!! PLEASE HELP ASAP!

Ok ladies It just hit me that I been taking percuset and ibuprofin to relieve pain and also been pumping and giving my little one the breast milk i feel so stupid that I havent thought about if it could affect the baby until now he only gets bout 6 oz's of breastmilk a day cuz he mostly is bottlefed but still im soo worried now he hasnt seem to be affected but should i be worried??????

xaviersmamacita

Asked by xaviersmamacita at 11:16 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you just need to call your pharmacist and let them know your pregnant and they should be able to tell you if it is safe
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i meant BFeeding
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• i breastfed exclusively and was given that after birth and sent home with an Rx for hydrocodone(sp?). I didn't really think about it either until later. me and the baby slept alot the first week or so. the drugs given during labor are also absorbed by the baby. i don't know if it's really bad,but it can't be good and is apparently common.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 11:21 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• If your OB described them and they knew you were BFing, then no you aren't harming your baby. I had to take Vicodin and Ibuprofen with DS because I had a C-Section.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Some drugs you can take while breastfeeding. After my c-section, I had hydrocodone and Motrin and it was fine. The drs knew I was breastfeeding and that is what they prescribed me. I think Hydrocodone is the generic of Percocet . .. not sure though, maybe it's Vicodin.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I was breastfeeding and taking Vicodin that my OB prescribed me. She told me it was safe, just to use it only as I needed it cause it can cause drowsiness for both mom and baby. I think you're okay but to reassure yourself, you can always call your pharmacist or Dr for advice.
    arcox79

Answer by arcox79 at 1:21 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Percocet and ibuprofen are fine while nursing. Acetominophen is PREFERRED, but no harm done here. Relax.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• If you ever have any questions about whether something i safe while pregnant or nursing just check out kellymom.com tons to wonderful info about everything bf related.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:16 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I am assuming that your doctor knows you're pregnant and nursing. Just follow the directions correctly and your baby will be just fine. :) Percodect is class C during pregnancy. The amount of both drugs that passes through in breastmilk is not enough to harm your child. You can reduce the amount your baby takes in by taking your prescription right after you breastfeed/pump. That way there's time for it to leave your system before the next feeding.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 5:50 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Erm... "pregnant and nursing" wtf? I need sleep. Lol. I meant, just had a child... and nursing. :P
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 5:52 AM on Aug. 16, 2009