Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about cash aid through welfare

Okay No bashing!
DH and I were making it just fine. Then his hours got cut waaaaaaaay down to 2o a week. We lost our place and moved in with My Mom. We still have bills and such. I was wondering if I were to go apply for cash aid through welfare until we get back on our feet what I would need to bring.... (proof of pregnancy, due date, bills, check stubs...etc) and if they would help us?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • If you are pregnant, you will have to bring a statement of the Expected Delivery Date. It all depends on how much you make as to whether you will qualify for it or not. You will have to take proof of income, of course, and if you are paying your mom rent or something you will need to take proof of you paying rent. I'm thinking you have to apply for food stamps and Medicaid sperately. If you have to have something else though, they will tell you and you can make copies to drop off to your case worker if you can't make a time to meet with them. Oh yea, be sure to take a list of family members living in the home as well. Don't forget your social security card and driver's license too. I think that's everything I had to have before my little boy was born. But that's been over 2 years ago. Good luck!

    Answer by Homemommy0503 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

  • Good Luck! When I was 4months pregnant with #2. My DH went in to a 6 week rehab program in FL (we are in PA) I was working full time and had a 10 month old at home... I contacted welfare about cash assistance to help us and they told me that I would have to attend 40 hrs a week of "classes" and then I would get only $60 a month...

    So, needless to say, we did without.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • Youll just have to go in and ask. Yes, bring your statement of pregnancy or EDD, any pay stubs, birth certificates for everyone in your family and SSN cards (this is what the st of GA requires) and they will ask you where you live and what the situation is with your mom. They want to make sure your not going to share the money. Its all just crazy. I know what it feels like to be making good money and then have the hours cut. My husband was doing about 56 a week and he got cut to a straight 40 so the other 16 hours were OT and it cut our income by about 1/3. Thats a lot of money for us. It was hard. I didnt apply for anything but free lunch for my kids and I did do that, but I just wanted to do it on my own. My parents helped here and there, but for the most part we survived. We did just moved to a smaller home. My husband got 64 hours this week. Thats the biggest paycheck hes had since Nov. Hes just filing in for someone.

    Answer by momofsaee at 11:16 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • You will qualify for medicaid for sure because your husband hours were cut and your not working so when your pregnant you automatically get med. You will qualify for WIC and you will need to bring prof of income and a note from your obgyn or doctor with your estimated due date, drivers license and for the public assistance go and fill out the forms for med, food stamps and cash assistance and they will send you a letter telling you what they want you to bring in and the date they want it by. Usually proof of income, lease, and you will fill out tons of paper work with socials security numbers and date of births etc....


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

  • i'm talking about all about this stuff over at:

    everyone is right, if you make low enough then you will get medicaid and your kiddos, but perhaps not your husband depending on your state. cash assistance is trickier so look up your state's information.

    Answer by poorpregnant at 9:40 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.