What's more important to you- having a healthy baby or having the birth experience that you wanted?

I wanted to have a vaginal, drug free birth but it didn't happen and that is okay. My son was born alive and healthy and that is all that matters to me. I have seen here on cafemom time and time again where moms are angry that they were "forced" into having procedures that they did not want. Sure some of the procedures may not be needed but isn't it better to be safe than sorry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had wanted a drug free vaginal birth . . .instead I ended up with an emergency c-section and an epidural that didn't work properly or just wore off.

In the end, I had a healthy baby and that is what is most important.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Healthy baby! above all no matter what I have to go through!
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• ummm a healthy baby!
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• 100% for healthy babies... alot of things don't go as planned.. but as long as the end result is good.. then there is nothing to complain about :)
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I think that being forced into a situation where one feels out of control is bound to involve anger and upset. I personally feel that the doctor isn't always right. I feel that c-sections (for example) are done too frequently, and done earlier than necessary, just to make it easy on the doctor.
    The idea is that the baby is healthy. I feel that I know my body best and know when something feels wrong.
    grainneferguson

Answer by grainneferguson at 11:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• healthy baby, Im going to go for an all natural hospital birth, but Im putting my mother in charge of medicating. Like so if Im at the point where its like, JUST GIVE ME THE MEDS, they have to go thru her and she'll say no.

But the clause I have attatched to that is if the baby is in any danger, at all, the doctor can do whatever is necessary to help me and my baby be safe and healthy
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• as long as my baby is ok i don't care. with my first it was nothing like i expected as i was induced and had a csection, not ideal but my daughter was fine and i was too. w/my second i was told i would probably labor and end up w/another csection anyways so opted for a planned csection again not what i would have really wanted, but the recovery from my first csection was awful and i was told it was mostly b/c of the laboring for a few days before it. didn't want to do that again.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:37 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• The birth of my 1st child certainly did not go as I would have liked but my son was born alive, and he was healthy---- so that is all that is important and matters to me.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:39 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• I believe that the most important thing is to have a healthy baby. I wanted to vaginally delieve, which I did luckily, and I wanted it to be totally natural. But, the doc did try to force a c-section. I hadn't dialated past 6 in 4hrs, something like that, and he wanted to get my son out b/c I had low amniotic fluid when I went for my regular checkup earlier that day. Thankfully my body kicked in overdrive, even after the epidural, and I delievered him almost the way I wanted. But, I got a happy, healthy baby. Only real problems were the colic and the acid reflux, but we got over that, lol
    ravensgirl83

Answer by ravensgirl83 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• They weren't "forced" into anything. When you sign up to have a baby at the hospital, then you sign up for the doctor's, too. Doctors, I'm sure, do NOT enjoy sticking their hands, arms, utensils into your body. Especially when some of these women are screaming at them, and talking crap to them. Let the doctor do their job! The important thing is that the child is healthy! If you don't want a doc to tell you what needs to be done, then stay HOME! Simply put.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2009