Probably a stupid question, but it's bugging me...

In order to do my hospital registration I have to have a pediatrician picked out as well as my actual insurance card (not just the policy number). I just received my card today in the mail due to a delay, & I have yet to find a pediatrician. In the case I go into labor early or something else goes wrong that would need a hospital visit, can L&D turn me away for not being registered with them? What will happen if I show up without having a pediatrician picked out? I am worried because even though I am only 29weeks I was told (due to a few different factors) that I may deliver early. Any ideas on the rules of L&D? If I need to be pre-registered before I can be admitted?

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well one thing, they can't refuse you medical attention if you are in need of it. as for the ped thing, you should be able to request that their on call does the initial exam until you have your own picked out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:00 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I didn't have a pediatrician when I delivered my baby either. When I had my baby, the pediatrician on-call examined my baby and gave me an update. He also gave me information about his practice and I have used him ever since.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 11:57 PM on Aug. 15, 2009

• Can you just call a friend and get their doctor's name?
    You can actually spend the time researching and interviewing after, but to get a name on the form, this might work.
    I didn't find a pediatrician until my child was a few weeks old, I think.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:07 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• You can pick out the pediatrician on-call as yours and then change it later. That's what I did. And then I called and asked my family doctor if he would take on a newborn and that is now my son's doctor as well.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 12:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• When I filled out the form I didn't have a pediatrician yet and I just left it blank. They still pre-registered me. I have a pediatrician now but his practice doesn't have a contract with the hospital I'm delivering in and he said they'll just use the hospital's pediatrician and he/she will fax him the info after seeing my baby.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:16 AM on Aug. 16, 2009