Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how much do you pay to file your taxes

Im getting my tax preparing license in November and already have a part time lined up. No biggy its only 4hours a day, and a pretty nice set up, I get to do am shifts and breaks to feed my baby, because the woman who owns the place wants to help me, shes a family friend.

anyway...I was also going to do it privately, like have my own clients on the side to make some more income, and I know my states filing fee is $30 but I hear many places charge $170 to file so it comes out to an even $200

I dont want to charge that much because thats profiting $170 per hour/or less than an hour and I would feel like Im ripping some1 off

what would you recommend?

I know this is a bit soon but I have to advertise myself pretty soon here.


Asked by Dom123123 at 12:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 2 (12 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • i have always gone to h&r block in the past and they charge a certain percentage of what you get back. in the future we plan on going on base b/c they don't charge. but for someone working on their own out of their home, i wouldn't pay more than $100, just b/c the businesses usually have a clause that states if it is incorrect and i owe the govn money b/c of it they will cover those costs.

    Answer by vabchmommy at 12:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • Only you can decide what you feel is right, but last year we paid $120.00 and our taxes are simple. I would've paid more than that, because I don't want to do my taxes;) They will go up this year though because the taxman is going to have to file a few more forms...

    Answer by theutilitarian at 12:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • 16.95..

    Answer by anarose26 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • i pzy 90 privatley and she runs her own business and has some other cert that only some tax filers have. Only about 15 percent I heard.

    Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • whats and what does that have to do with me being a preparer, I get paid big bucks for people to come to me, im not going to have them go to an online website for cheap...LOL

    $120 sounds good, maybe an even 100, Im advertising to college students this year so I dont want to make it ridiculous, and I happen to know it only takes about 30 minutes to complete a income tax form for someone who has a pretty basic income, like most students, so getting paid 100-120 minus the state charge would be pretty good for an hour or less of work.


    Answer by Dom123123 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • maybe I'll do a percent...OMG see this is why I plan way ahead, because there's so much to think about
    some students only get back like 200 and if I charge them 100 they'd only get half and I would feel bad...

    im need to think more thoroughly

    Answer by Dom123123 at 12:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2009