I just got "fired" from my 3 year job at Dennys. Is this fair? Am i fired? CAN I GET UNEMPLOYMENT??!!!

i went to my old work (DENNYS) that i had been working at for 3 years. I got pregnant and went on maternity leave at 3 months because i was pregnant with the twins. After maternity leave was up, i told them i wasnt able to come back yet because my SO was on tour for a couple more months and no one would be able to watch the boys. I went in the other day seeing if i can come back and if they n
if they need me. They said they would give me a call. i was still "employed" there. I just got a new cell phone and plan so i gave them the new number. My voicemail wasnt set up yet. They tried calling me and couldnt leave a voicemail. I was out of service at the time because it was in a bad area so i didnt know they called.
I called back 2 days later asking what was going on and they said they were going to call. They said they "tried calling me and i didnt answer. That means im unreliable and therefore, its a 'no' on the

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm finding your questions in reverse order tonight!

Fair has nothign to do with anything, unfortunately. And if you are in CA as I suspect...this is an at-will state. They can let you go with NO reason at all.

Go ahead and apply. EDD will tell you whether you qualify.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It's a crummy economy and people are desparate for jobs. Maternity leave is understandable.....the extra months was pushing it. If they still can't get ahold of you, no matter the misunderstanding, I can understand them firing you.

You could try one more time to smooth it over with the manager or whoever - as long as you have been reliable in the past. "You know I've been a good employee these last few years and I wish you'd consider my position and the situation. I'm sorry about the mix-up over the phone number, but I really need this job and was wondering if there's any way you will reconsider." Worth a try if you really can work now and wan't the job.

As for unemployment, I don't know about that one.

Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• unreliable there you go. sorry but it is a dog eat dog world for jobs right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I may be wrong but I think if you get fired for that erason you can't get unemployment. GL and sorry.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 12:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2009