getting ready for school

my 3 year old is starting head start in sept, and im worried he will cry when i leave because he does when he is left anywhere any ideas on how i can help make it easier for him

TXMOM831

Asked by TXMOM831 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in

• My daughter loved preschool, and I cried the first day.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:05 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Give him something that will make him think of you when he's there without you and tuck it in his pocket. A square of fabric or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• prepare him for it by talking to him about whats gonna happen once school starts...i thought my daughter was gonna be the same way, but as soon as she got there and saw all the kids and toys she was like "BYE MOM YOU CAN LEAVE NOW"..so..ya never know!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:04 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My son screamed so loud that the gym class being held outside all stopped and looked. My daughter was there and realized it was her little brother who wanted nothing to do with preschool. He was holding on to the car for dear life. I sent him with my husband because I couldn't handle it. Well, he eventually went in -- the teacher was great -- and low and behold, when I picked him up he was fine and the teacher said he stopped crying as soon as he got into school. He would prefer to stay home, but has gone without a problem every since. You will live through it and so will your child. The teacher's are used to that. They know how to handle it. Good luck!!!
    Frankie64

Answer by Frankie64 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• My daughter did ECEAP (which is like Head Start) when she was 4 last year. She hated for me to leave every day, but once I left, she had fun. She is going to "kindergarten camp" this week (they don't officially start til September 9th but the kindergarten teachers are doing a week of kinder camp so the kids can get used to the routine) and she did NOT want to go. The whole way to the school she said "I am NOT going to Kindergarten camp." We went in, she didn't want to sit with the other kids. But as soon as one of them started talking to her, she was like "bye mom!". Some kids love it, and for some it does take some getting used to. All I can say is, if he cries, do NOT pick him up or stay in the class room. It is much better to just tell him "Mommy has to go, I'll be back to pick you up in a little while". Then leave, whether he is crying or not. My daughter's teacher last year had to hold her hand so I could leave.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• HOMESCHOOL YOUR CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT MAKE THE POOR KID SUFFER!! THATS CRAP!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2009