FLEA ATTACK!

I swear I am at my wits end. I have fogged my house, I have bought flea Raid, and my cats have not stepped a paw in my house since. But the fleas keep coming back, it's a swarm whenever you go into the living room. I have flea powdered my run, removed the thick carpet and now have a very uncumfy one underneath. You cannnot walk the full length of my little trailer without being jumped on and bitten by a flea. ANY suggestions!?

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If I didn't know any better, I would have to say that you probably live in the South. Because of the heat & humidity, nothing dies. Those fleas are horrible. I feel for you. I have been where you are at right now. At the time, I rented. I moved out just about the time the fleas got really bad. I don't know what the landlord did to get rid of them. A friend of mine had this problem. She had to have someone come spray. She thought she got rid of them & then the came back. You see, those fleas were running rampant in the yard. The professional had to come back out and stray the house and the yard. Call an exterminator or ask them about what you could spray to get them under control or kill them once & for all. Good luck.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I use Diatomaceous earth (DE). It's a product put out by Maestro-gro/Rabbit Hill Farms and it is food/feed grade safe! "DE is a non-toxic, safe substance made up from crushed fossils of freshwater organisms and marine life called diatoms. Crushed to a fine powder and observed through a microscope, the particles resemble bits of broken glass. Deadly to any insect and completely harmless to animals, fish, and fowl. Most insects have a waxy outer shell covering their bodies, called the exoskeleton. DE scratches through this shell causing the insect to dehydrate leading to eventual death." continued....
    Carr600

Answer by Carr600 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• continued..." More and more farmers are putting a special feed friendly DE in their animal feed. Ever wonder why? DE mode of action for insect and parasite control is strictly mechanical. The microscopically sharp edges contact the insect or parasite, and pierce their protective coating, so they soon dehydrate and die. The larvae is affected in the same way. This makes DE an excellent and totally natural control, with no mechanical or chemical damage to the animal tissue. It can be used as a dust for fleas, lice and other external pests by rubbing into the coat of the animal." There are several warnings noted here. When applying the chalk-like powder to your rugs or pets coats, minimize the dust effect and keep it out of their eyes. The dust will irritate the eyes. Also, DEsold for swimming pool filters is dangerous dangerous to human and animal health. It has been chemically treated to change it's composition." IT WORKS!
    Carr600

Answer by Carr600 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I know my post is sooo long but I KNOW what you're going through. I put the powder in an old carpet fresh can, sprinkled it around the carpet and then vacuumed. I did this every other day for about a week and now have NO fleas. And because the powder got up into the vacuum bag it continues to kill the fleas and eggs that were sucked up! I found out that flea eggs aren't killed by foggers and insecticides but because the DE cuts the shell! I've even started to put it into my animal's food as it also kills internal parasites!!! Whatever DE you buy just make sure that it is feed grade safe! I also use their orange oil (diluted in a spray bottle) to wipe down my kitchen counters with. It leaves my kitchen smelling like oranges and repels bugs! Love it. :)
    Carr600

Answer by Carr600 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Fleas-b-gone biscuits(%
    Dog food recipe ingredients:

* 1 cup whole wheat flour
    * 1/4 cup wheat germ
    * 1/4 cup brewer's yeast
    * 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    * 1/2 cup chicken stock plus 3 tbsp for basting
    OPTIONAL: 2 T Garlic powder

Dog food recipe directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

Mix flour, wheat germ, and brewer's yeast, garlic together in a medium bowl. Pour the oil into a separate bowl. Alternately add the chicken stock and flour mixture into the bowl with the oil, and mix well.

Knead dough on a floured surface for a few minutes. The dough should be sticky.

Roll dough out until it's about 3/8" thick. Cut into cookies with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet.
    Bake 10 minutes, rotate baking sheet, and baste with remaining 3 tablespoons chicken stock. Bake 10 minutes longer.Turn off oven, leaving oven door closed. Lea
    Terlyn

Answer by Terlyn at 1:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• A friend of mine used table salt in her yard. I don't know why it works, but she got rid of the fleas. She said she just sprinkled a few boxes in the yard and VIOLA! fleas were gone. I like the DE the PP was talking about also.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:11 AM on Aug. 17, 2009