Is it possible that a doctor told her to get an abortion?

My friend is a girl with some drug use problems and she's pregnant. At first she didn't want the baby, but she's changed her mind (for now) and wants to keep it. However, she has severe diabetes and she told me that her doctors advised her to abort the baby because her diabetes isn't "in control". I'm just wondering if this is a load of crap. Anyone carry out a pregnancy with severe diabetes? Are doctors even allowed to suggest such a thing?

Bernie19

Asked by Bernie19 at 1:16 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Health

• I agree it's possible because their first priority is the safety of the mother but I would definately tell her to find another doc. And try to have her put somewhere so she can stay clean. Don't know about your state but everywhere i've lived they do routine screening on ALL babies looking for drugs illegal or not. If they find anything that isn't specifically a prescription that they have written they will call cps and yank the baby unless they can prove they got it from a valid source (dentist or something of that sort.)
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I don't know of anyone carrying out the pregnancy due to diabetes but I do know that doctors do and have advised to abort a pregnancy for the health and safety of a mother.It's not a load of crap.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 1:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I don't know to be honest with you. I have a friend with well controlled type 2 diabetes that just had a healthy and giant (10lb 8oz) baby boy on the 28 of last month. He was 3 weeks early and still healthy.
    One of my daughter's friend's is blind because she had a brain tumor that had to be removed. I don't know if her mom's health was the reason for her getting the tumor or not. Her mom has type 1 diabetes and takes horrible care of herself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• abort73.com
    God loves this child!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It's absolutely possible.

I have a friend who's diabetes was absolutely out of control. Even with her insulin pump. Her first baby was born 2 months early, but because of the diabetes was bigger than the average full term infant. That's probably what saved his life. When she got pregnant again (she was on BC) her docs advised her to abort until she could get better control over her diabetes. This was also after a couple recurring bouts of diabetic ketoacidosis. If she experienced this while pregnant, she'd more than likely end up loosing the baby anyhow.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• get second opinion
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• YOU NEED TO GET A SECOND AND THIRD OPINION, INSTEAD OF GETTING AN ALL OUT ABORTION. IF THE OTHER DOCTORS TELL YOU THE SAME THING THEN IT WOULD BE FOR THE BEST. YOU COULD EASILY HAVE ANOTHER BABY, IS IT YOUR FIRST? IF NOT THEN ITS BETTER, BECAUSE YOU WILL HURT WITH THE MEMORIES OF YOUR FIRST BABY WHEN ITS ABORTED. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU. GOOD LUCK. AND GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.
    Cherokee316

Answer by Cherokee316 at 5:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• unless you were in the room with the woman and the doctor, then you don't know what happened. Her health (her life!) may be at risk if she continues the pregnancy; the fetus may already be non-viable You are not a part of this decision...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2009