How often do you see and visit your parents or family?

I havent seen my parents for 4 months and am feeling guilty. I was wanting to know how often do you visit your family.
I think lot of it is cause I feel like my familys judgemental of person I married & I have struggled with hurtfeelings watching my mom go visit my sister who lives 10 min away from me but yet she will never swing by to see me or my kids. It has hurt me and even after telling her I would like her to stop by she wont. Its same with my husbands parents they visit everyone else but wont ever call me to see how me,my kids or my husband are doing even when hes been laid off for a yr now. I feel like they dont care and feel lonely but yet at same time I know I need to go by and see my mom ,why cant they do the same. Most we do is talk on phone and Im little jealous of relationship her & my sister have,it would be nice to know they give a d** about me and my kids . Am I in the wrong for not visiting enough?

bizebe

Asked by bizebe at 1:25 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• my mom and sister live 15 minutes away..I see them a couple times a week an if i dont see them i call them or they call me everyday.
    I never see my dad, the relationship is dead and its better that way

My SO only sees his family every few months or just holidays. they live 2 hours away for most of the family and his sister is 5 hours away. and they never come this way so he doesnt feel bad because he has to make most of the effort
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Aww Im sorry to hear that. Yes I can understand him it seems like when you have to put out all the effort you get to point you just dont want to try any more and I feel thats place that Im at with all my family. What bothers me most they give out all this advice how I should live my life ,how they dont approve of what I allow or dont allow but make no effort to see me or my kids its always them wanting me and my family to go see them ,,, I dont know it just hurts and you get to where you dont care if you see any of them or not. Even with last family camping trip my mom,sister made plans last min knowing I wanted to go ,but didnt envite me till very last min when they were going . this was yearly family thing we all plan out but they knew I wanted to take my kids needing more notice and instead last min said oh by way were all leaving . I was so hurt and angry . and have just pulled away .
    bizebe

Answer by bizebe at 1:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My dh & I see my family about twice a year. If we are lucky, they come to visit at least once a year. My dh's mom visits us about once a year. We haven't gone to visit them in 7 years. My family lives about 14 hrs away. It is a 2 day drive to visit them. We have 3 children & buying plane tickets is too expensive. My dh's dad refuses to fly. We have seen him once in 4 yrs. I understand what your are saying. Have you talked to both sides of the family about this?
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• we talk like 4-5 times a day and see each other a few times a week
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:10 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I see my mom and sisters every other month. I see my dad less than that since he lives farther away.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:44 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i see my parents 1-2 times a week and talk to my parents everyday. my husbands parents live out of state and his mother is rude and nasty to me but she still comes to visit 1-2 times a year. we havent gone to visit them in a few years. his brothers we go to see about 1 time a year and his one brother visits often. it is very diff when families dont get along. it also tends to put a lot of strain on a relationship, hang in there and just try not to let it affect you and your husbands relationship.
    GTMOM41

Answer by GTMOM41 at 3:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2009