Am i overreacting about my baby's symptomes?

In july my 17 son was hospitalized for 5 dys with 105 temp, no diagnosis was made just maybies/couldbies. well it started all over again a week and a half ago. I know that he never recovered fully since last month, has periods of lethargy, swollen throat fever, etc. I had called my ped office 3 weeks ago but cancelled the appt because i thought he was better. he has had medical issues since birth, ALTE, severe GERDS, so i am very vigilant. I m also in the medical field as a paramedic so i think that i know when to worry or not. However my ped makes me feel like i am overreacting always when i voice my concerns, There is leukemia in my family so i wanted to bring this up to her since my son fit the symptomes (minus the bleeding), He was tested for mono but was neg. so i became very concern when all his symptomes came back and his paleness and lethargy lingered around since the end of June. Am i overreacting? Am i crazy?

momof651

Asked by momof651 at 1:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no no no can i be any clearer? no get a new doc it could be anything if you have to call saint judes or shriners too. dont give up. ever see mystery diagnosis on tlc? watch it and do as they do never give up
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 1:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• You are not over reacting. Your instincts are telling you that something is wrong. I recommend that you get a second opinion.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• keep trying, keep trying. don't give up, dont give up.

find a new pedia, even just for a one time consult. like 1st thing monday morning. 4 sure.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• if your instincts are telling you one thing and your pediatrician is telling another, you may want to find another ped. and explain everything that as been going on, and say you want to rule out leukemia because its your biggest concern, so the new doctor knows you mean business
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i put your babies symptoms in the symptom checker at webmd.com this is what possible diagnosis it came up with: 1. aseptic meningitis 2. thalassemia 3.viral pnemonia 4.anemia 5.mono 6. acute kidney disease 7. gastrointestinal bleeding 8.hepatitis a 9. heat exhaustion 10. drug over dose and a few others. check it your self too because you know more of his symptoms than i do. but seriously get a 2nd 3rd 4th or 100th opinion if you need too. dont ake no for an answer and be a bitch if you must. good luck hope you will keep us all updated.
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 2:05 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• No you are NOT overreacting, I would find a new pedi or get a second opinion at least

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Why on earth did you cancel an appointment knowing he has all these medical issues?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• This probably isn't as useful as I'd like it to be, but I know from personal experience that mono tests can be wrong. I was in the same situation as your son just a few short years ago, I had a high fever, sore throat, swollen glands, severe/sudden weight loss, and ended up in the hospital. I never received a diagnose while I was there and was sent home as soon as my fever dropped. Throughout the next three months I was tested for mono almost every week and always received a negative result. I was missing school about three days a week, sometimes more, and could hardly function. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with me at all. Finally a mono test came back positive and as soon as I was started on the proper course of treatment, I was better within two weeks.
    So don't give up and express to your doctor that although your feelings may not be medically proven, they're still right.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 8:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• And anonymous poster above, why must you attack her in her time of need?
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 8:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I dont think youre overreacting. Its common sometimes for docs to make you feel that way. I think that either they know something and dont want to tell us, or they dont know anything and want to make us think that they do. Either way, it doesnt help. I would get two or three opinions on this until you find some answers. This is not normal.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:16 AM on Aug. 16, 2009