Why is my dog so gassy?

My dog is seriously so gassy. And it is terrible. I can't believe something so cute, lovable and hug-able could be so foul smelling! What the heck is wrong with him? And before you ask, we hardly feed him table scraps at all, if he gets anything, it's tortilla chips or wheat bread crust. He is on Science Diet Lite brand dog food, the same stuff he's been on his whole life. Is there a Bean-o for dogs or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Pets

• He does it to annoy you. Tell him to stop it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• omg anon.. you cannot be serious, i hope not at least lol..
    They do have supplements at pet stores to help with gas but I will tell you gas is a sign of the food hes eating. In dogs, allergies and sensitivities can develop at any age so even though you've been feeding him the same thing his whole life, he might just now be reacting to it negatively. Good luck.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:08 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• You might try switching him to a better food; Science Diet has corn and animal by-products in it; a lot of dogs are allergic to corn. I feed my dog California Natural; there are only four main ingredients in it (plus the vitamins and minerals) and it's a great food, around the same price as Science Diet. However, you will feed less of it because there are no fillers. We had my dog on SD and were feeding him 4 cups a day; on California Natural, we feed him two cups a day so we're saving quite a bit of money, which is always a good thing! You can go to Naturapet.com to find out where you can get it, and to compare ingredients, etc. There are also some supplements, as youngfirsttimer said.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:22 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Yes, there are many foods out there that fit that price range which are better than science diet. Many vets get paid for promoting that dog food so if your feeding it because your vet recommended it, i would do more research into the ingredients your dog is consuming.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:31 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My dogs were gassy until I started feeding them Pedigree. No more doggy farts. LOL
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:19 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• *here is some info on feeding a dog with too much gas:  this was for a boston terrier but is fine for any dog to follow : HOPE this helps:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dog-Food-Canine-3799/2009/3/Boston-terrier-gas-dog.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 10:57 AM on Aug. 16, 2009