Can you color your hair while pregnant?

I am a hair stylist and i know that the hormones in ur body change which effects your hair and sometime the coloring process just wont work right. but will it hurt or effect the baby?

Asked by leraenia at 10:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was pregnant and was afraid of getting perms and hair color the dr told me it was not researched and he didn't really know, he told me to choose one of the other and go ahead and get it done. I hated my hair straight so I got a perm...Now the thought of going without color sends shutters down my spine... ask your dr but I don't think theres anything wrong with it.

Answer by nunyabiznz at 10:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• When I was preggo with my 1st my doctor said "no way!" My doc with my 2nd said "no problem". Sooo clearly the jury is still out. I did color with the second one and had no problems. Talk to your doctor...but decide what is right for you. Since you are a hair dresser, you should be able to make a great decision about a natural product. Either way...all pregnant women are beautiful, even with their roots showing.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• There is no scientific proof either way. Most pregnant women can't stand the smells. Always check with your doctor if unsure. Remember that hilites don't touch the scalp.

Answer by wilbursdaughter at 10:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I waited until my 3rd trimester.. my son is as healthy as he can be.

Answer by BEXi at 10:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• They say that the hormone's can effect the color it may not take or you can turn out like Bozo the Clown!! It supposedly does not effect the fetus, just like tanning they say not to do it but it's only because of the effect it can have on YOUR skin not the baby's

Answer by momto1727 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Yes u can color your hair..

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2008