HELP! Our dog got sprayed by a skunk!

I wasn't home and hubby put him in his crate IN THE HOUSE and sprayed febreeze and lysol everywhere, texting me saying the dog smells really really bad...I got in our neighborhood and could smell the problem...we scrubbed the dog with peroxide, baking soda, soap mix...but what do I do about the house?? It's awful! The cat's gagging it's so bad!

rockstarkk

Asked by rockstarkk at 5:08 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Pets

• wash the dog with some tomato juice
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 5:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Wash the dog in tomato juice, open the windows and let some fresh air come in, it will air out. This happened to us a few years ago. Our puppy found a skunk, the older dog went over to scold the pup, pup ran off, older dog got sprayed instead, he took off and ran straight into the house, rubbing his nose on the carpet, furniture, etc. My hubby sprayed air freshener into a rag and held it over his face for a few hours until the smell was gone. It doesn't seem funny now, I know, but it will eventually.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:14 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I would try washing all material things. Skunk spray is oil based and will absorb into everything. When my dog got sprayed I washed the clothes I was wearing when I found her separate and asap. It seemed to help but I might have done it twice to be sure. I know when it came to my dog (sounds like you have that under control) I did the baking soda and everything but the mouth wash seemed to work very well. I didn't want to do the tomato juice because my dog is white and I didn't want to end up with Clifford the big red dog.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 7:08 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I've heard that tomato doesn't work, only masks the smell. This site has a strong solution that is suggested:

http://dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html

This one says 1 Qt 3% hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 tsp. liquid soap

http://briansplace.ynt1.com/skunk.php

Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 8:34 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Go buy a ton of tomato juice! The acid will help with breaking down the smell. I used to live way out in the country and my dogs got into a fight with a skunk not once- but twice! I tried everything but that was the only thing that worked... hope it helps!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Use dish soap it gets the oil out, but before you do that let your dog roll in dirt or cover your dog in dirt, rub it in good. The dirt absorbs a lot of the oil making it easier to get off. My dog got sprayed every week on summer.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• After your using all of this detergents, soaps and other harsh chemicals, be sure to use a dog conditioner for the coat. Because you will be stripping the natural oils from the coat along with the skunk spray. If you do not recondition the coat your dogs skin and fur will be dry and itchy and possibly will flake.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:35 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• calll ur vet they probably have a solution that will get the smell out of ur dog....i kow r vet does i just cant remember it its been years since i have to deal with this...the last time my parents dog got sprayed she left him out side and didnt pet him for a while...i think like a week the smell just eventually wnet away on its own...btw he was use to being out side all the time
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 11:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Call your vet...I know our vet has specific shampoo for this very thing
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Tomato juice and peroxide do not work all that well. I used Doggicleen and it worked better than other products I tried.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Sep. 10, 2009