what should I do when my 5 year daughter starts crying for everything she wants

She forgot to speak in a normal way when she wants something. She always cries.

Ileen74

Asked by Ileen74 at 7:57 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her you can't hear her when she isn't acting like a big girl. Babies cry because they don't know how to talk yet, that's why they cry. If she won't stop, put her in her room, on her bed until she can act right. She will throw a fit, you have to be strong. I know it's hard, my daughter was just like that from the time she was born until she was 5.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:05 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Stay calm and tell her to go to her room until she is calm and ready for a conversation.

Warning: your are just 2 or 3 years away from "big girl" hormones starting to kick in. this is good practice for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:32 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• If you're out in public - at the store or whatever - immediately stop what you're doing (even if it means leaving a cart of groceries behind in the produce section), & take her home.

If you're home, tell her you can't understand her until she calms down. Then, ignore her until she acts 5 instead of 2. If she gets worse before she gets better, let her throw her fit in her room.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• She is doing this because she has learned that in the past it works.
    You need to tell her to stop and if she does not then she needs to be removed from the situation. I agree with the above poster no matter where no matter what leave even if you are almost done grocery shopping.
    You need to be tough be consistant and always 1000% of the time follow thru !!
    So never make a punishment threat that you are not willing to do.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I have a 5 year old step daughter who does the same thing. Only her dad believes that that is just being a five year old little girl.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 1:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• First make sure there is nothing wrong with her,is there a new baby,did she start a new school, did she get a new room or bed. Children take things very seriously,think back to when she started crying,was there any changes than,no matter how small,it was big to her. Again, I would still speak to the dr.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2009