Do you think that Video Games make a child prone to violence?

Hillary Clinton made it clear. But Does anyone have an opinion about it, since we as mothers know what is best for our kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can't give you an aswer one way or the other. But I won't let my child play violent video games. I can tell you that seriously troubled children I have worked with were encouraged to do do violent things by the movies they watched, video games they played, and the envioronment they were in. It normalized their actions and made it seem like no big deal. I can't tell you what influenced the children more: videos, movies, friends who did those things, their neighborhood....but I can say I'm not willing to put my child at risk to thinking violence is acceptable. In our home there is limited television, no violent video games, and we will know all friends.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• “Children are playing a game that encourages them to have sex with prostitutes and then murder them,” the senator and former first lady said. “This is a silent epidemic of media desensitisation that teaches kids it’s okay to diss people because they are a woman, they’re a different colour or they’re from a different place.”

Her campaign against video game violence has alarmed right-wing opponents of her expected bid for the White House.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Not necessarily. I think that a child who has a tendency to be aggressive can be affected by violent video games more than say a child who isnt. My son is 7 and we dont allow violent games at all, simply because hes only 7. Mario Kart is as violent as we get. I just dont think there are absolutes in any scenario but I do hope that moms would use some level of common sense when buying games for their kids though. I dont think bloody, violent, fighting games are okay for anyone, but I can only control my home, so its a no for us. I dont listen to anything Hillary Clinton has to say. She has no credibility with me.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:57 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• No, just obesity and stupidity
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It might with some kids that get no positive social upbringing. If that's all they see in real life and on video games, they may grow up thinking that's okay.

I've got two adult sons and two tween sons. They play some video games that are considered violent and bloody but they've turned out fine. They know what's right and what's wrong.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• "I think that a child who has a tendency to be aggressive can be affected by violent video games more than say a child who isnt."

I agree with mom of saee
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 9:26 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• for a normal well balanced person no. But some people are prone to certain things and I think these are the ones that make violent people. I also don't agree with Tipper that listening to music backwards mean your devil worshippers either.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• No I don't, it's a game and if we teach our children right from wrong and they have structure in their life then they will be fine. Not all video games are violent, as parents we choose what they play.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2009