Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD w/ADHD update please help

Ok so here is the update. She is ADHD, ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) and probably some bipolar tossed in as well.
This is splitting us up as a once happy married couple. My hubby says the peds and I are lying so I have something to talk about with our group of friends. I agreed with him to explore diets for her and change her diet before we went on meds. He says our dd doesn't have it and he can "predict when someone has a mental illness" Yea ok whatever. I have bi polar and adhd as well but as an adult I can control it with out meds.
She isn't getting better she cries all the time for no reason. I don't know what to do because he and his mom both said they refuse to give her meds if I put on them. I just found out that neither of them have been giving her the bladder or allergy meds she needs.
Please help, our marriage is falling apart.

Answer Question

Asked by polkadotpudding at 8:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Hang in there! what's happening to your family is part of the assimilation process. Things will get better. Just work with the doctors try for your husband to be included in all the activities related with your child's treatment/therapy.

    Husband take much more time to process. So give him some space if he doesn't want to hear about it, it is OK. He will come around.

    Unfortunately we the moms have to do all the work alone. At least for now. And If someone tells you otherwise they are lying. You can help your husband and child.

    Now when it comes to your MIL I don't what to say. She should respect your wishes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • Set up an appointment with your husband and the doctor who made the diagnosis. Anyone who is risking your child's life by withholding necessary medications should not be alone with your child EVER

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:10 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • Since both you and your husband are in disagreement. How would you expect to your daughter to start her therapy. Both parents have to be on the same page to start some kind of intervention. Precious time is being lost with all this nonsense.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • why dont you ALL go to counseling a together and an separate if needed just go for 6 months and see what happens like 2x a month-- personally I dont believe in ADD/ ADHD-- theres just underlying issues that need to be addressed and a family that wont address them so they'll medicate their kids instead-- I have a friend I work with whos teacher and pediatrician said her dd was ADHD and needed meds-- so she got our Psychiatrist to say that she was seeing him and being "treated" 1 month later at a parent teacher meeting they told her how much better Katie was now that she's on medication LOL She was never on anything LOL what a bunch of idiots I've seen this quite a few times

    Answer by MELRN at 10:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • A person with Bipolar needs a combination of meds and counseling, Bipolar is NOT something to fool around with. PLEASE get her the help that she needs and deserves. Your husband is full of crap that he can predict when someone has a mental illness. ADHD can be treated without meds, it's just a little harder to do so. Make an appointment with a counsleor and make your husband go. If he isn't wiiling to help his daughter, then you need to do it without him. Get her the treatment now before she gets out of control and ends up in jail for her behavior that will come from being an untreated person with Bipolar.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.