is something going on ?

my 4 year old is coming up with some stories she shouldnt be able to think up , she just stated prek and she said the teacher has hit her. then friday she was telling my mother a story about this old man taking into the woods and trying to drain her in a big bath tub , now this was as son as i picked her up from school , we were still in the parking lot of the school...........so whats going on and what can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The teacher hitting her...I would check that one out thoroughly, just in case there's ANY chance it's true. It probably isn't, but since there's always that chance, I'd want to be sure. The old man one...I would say either it was a very realistic dream she had, or that something has scared her and this was her way of trying to express it. Has she recently had any kind of scary experience in the bathtub....slipping, drinking the water unintentionally, anything like that? That's the first thing I would think, other than very real dream. I'd try talking to her about the stories, ask her to give you more details, ask her if something is bothering her, etc. Hope that helps a bit.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:11 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• If your "mommy-sense" is telling you that something is not right, then make an appointment with a child psychologist. I hope that nothing is wrong.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• she's 4, many children at this age tell stories. Most psychologist will tell you its completely normal, and most parents will say things like my child is the biggest liar. They aren't necessarily lying, they're story telling, thats all. Explaining to her its not ok to say things like the teacher hit me if its not true can help her distinguish the difference between story telling and straight up lying, but its perfectly normal. If she's still telling such outlandish stories around 8 or 9 when children clearly know right from wrong then its something to worry about but at 4 its just developmental.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• She could be making up stories for entertainment, she could be relaying information as she saw it (and it's not a "lie" but maybe a stretch...the teacher "hit" her could have been as simple as the teacher actually bumped into her accidentally, but you should have asked about that one), she could be telling what her dreams were, she could be combining different stories that were read in school....

I really doubt she needs to see a psychologist. You just need to talk to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Aug. 17, 2009