Need Help on carseats...

What's the rules on carseats and booster seats. My dh and argue over carseats for our oldest son. My oldest son is 42 pds in weight and 45 inc tall. What's the best carseat can you all recommend. When are they ready for the highback booster seats without the 5 pt harness. I'm worried about my son's safety.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Depends on age and maturity and LAWS...many states have the minimum of 4 years and 40lbs for boosters without harnesses. NOw thats the minimum. Harnessing for as long as possible is safest...atleast harness to 6 and 40lbs IMO. You can start booster training at 5 if they are 40lbs, that means short rides with someone watching while driving that the child sits correctly at all time, no leaning, no belt behind their backs, etc.

I really love and so do my boys..their Graco Nautilus seats, they are great seats, you are welcome to look at my pics to see them in them. They call them their race car drivers seats. They harness to 65lbs and my 7 year old still fits in the harness and prefers it over the booster mode for now so he still uses the harness. After 65lbs they become a high back booster and then low back booster to 100lbs.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Is he in a highback booster now with the harness? At this age, I bought my son one of those Eddie Bauer high back boosters wtih the 5 pt harness. I loved it because it gave him the room and space of a booster but he still had the safety of a harness. Legally, I think its okay for him to be without a harness, but I think its better to keep them in a harness as long as possible, especially if he is a wiggle worm...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• It also depends on age, which you didn't give. Other things to consider is if he will sit properly the entire time & if the booster would fit him properly.

If he is over age 4 or 5 then it would be fine to take practice trips to see how he does in a booster. If you want to keep him in a 5pt harness (and I don't blame you) you could look at the Graco Nautilus.
    Cognito

Answer by Cognito at 12:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2009