Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alternatives to D and C

I delivered my son 6 weeks ago. Since 3 weeks post deliver, I have been passing large clots. I went to my doctor for my check up and he examined me. My cervix is closed and felt normal but on ultrasound they saw another clot at the bottom of uterus. They scheduled me for an D and C but if I pass the clot I can cancel. But I think I am going to cancel regardless.
I just wondered if it would harm to cancel the D and C and let my body expel the tissue on it's own.

Thanks for your info.

Answer Question
 
AandEx2

Asked by AandEx2 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • A D&C will just hury up the prosess. I think your body will take care of it by itself anyways. But you really need to talk to your doctor about this too.
    louise2

    Answer by louise2 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • if your cervix is closed how is it going to pass on its own? I'd be worried about infection and have the d&C
    Bjoycassell

    Answer by Bjoycassell at 9:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • Infection BLEEDING or permanent scaring on the uterine wall making a subsequent pregnancy unable to attach correctly to the uterine wall due to scaring
    MELRN

    Answer by MELRN at 9:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • well if your having some issue like part of the afterbirth inside you you can risk infection and death. But If you want to cancel it's your body go ahead. It will I'm sure be against medical advice. I had a D and c after my third for large clots and heavy bleeding. Don't regret it at all. It's a simple procuder, you'll be in an outpatient facility for a few hours, have some slight cramping and be fine.
    pagirl71

    Answer by pagirl71 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

  • Thanks everyone for your input. I just hate to go under anesthesia if not 100% necessary. I can't figure out if it will help my recovery or set me back a bit. I have been feeling GREAT since delivery so I am very torn on what to do. They were not sure if it was part of the placenta or a blood clot. I just figured if I waited until my period that my uterine lining would get rid of it naturally.
    Thanks everyone, if you want I can post an update afterwards, if anyone is interested....
    AandEx2

    Answer by AandEx2 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.