ground beef or ground turkey?

I made a poll but I don't feel like waiting for answers. I personally use ground turkey, but I just recently found out the health benefits of it. The first time I used it was to make meatloaf and it turned out white which was creepy lol but still yummy. Can't even taste a difference in my opinion. So what do you use for your family?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I use Turkey in most things these days... hamburger helper, spagehtti sauces, tacos, stuffed bell peppers and it's great. I even make meatballs out of it and it turns out fine... yummy in fact. My family doesn't care at all. The only thing I use ground beef for is hamburgers and meatloaf. I prefer having beef for those things, to me it just turns out better.
    Turkey's a lot easier on the wallet too. Turkey is cheaper than beef these days and I can definitely handle that.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:25 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• turkey, it's healthier...walmart has turkey burgers that are thick and really good.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:57 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I use ground beef. Personally I can't stand all the fat in it. I'd prefer they DIDN'T mix lard into it. I've only used ground turkey once. It was expensive back then (I dunno how much it costs now, though) and I just didn't like the texture/flavor. I can tell the difference. We've also tried turkey bacon. My hubby LOVES that crap. To me it's disgusting and should never be called "bacon". It's a lie, lol. The only thing similar....well, it doesn't even LOOK like bacon. And the texture is creepy... I'm all for healthy stuff, but when I want bacon, I want bacon...lol

As for hamburger meat, I couldn't care less, because I only cook with it about once a month. And when we grill out, I get veggie burgers.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:00 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• First I do not make meat loaf. YUK. It's just a big hamburger patty to me.

Getting to the point.  I use ground beef

Answer by louise2 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Yea, I suppose if you only use hamburger meat occassionally, the health benefits of turkey really do not matter lol. But I LOVE turkey bacon! I was turned off by the idea.. "ew, TURKEY bacon?" but once I tried it, I liked it. I prefer it now because it has way less grease. Same with turkey sausage. I don't make meatloaf often, Louise, but once in a while I'll crave good ole comfort food lol.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Ground Turkey! We've replaced it everywhere we would normally use ground beef. I use Purdue Ground Turkey 93/7 ratio -so it's not as dry as 99% fat free (I don't like to use 99%) I usually get my ground turkey from Wal-Mart for 1.76 a pound and it comes packaged 1lbs and 3lbs where I shop.

I just had a family bbq and made my famous turkey burgers and they were a hit as usual. Spaghetti, turkey loaf, tacos, lasagna, chili, anything you would normally use ground beef. It's healthier for my family and where I purchase it it's just as cheap if not at times cheaper than ground beef.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Lentils. So much cheaper and so much healthier than meats, lentils are loaded with protein, fiber, iron, amino acids, B1, folate, etc.)

Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• How the heck do you use lentils in the place of beef? Lol, I'm assuming it's possible since you do it, but it just doesn't sounds right.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:30 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I use beef most of the time. But I do love the turkey bacon. I've used the turkey burger before and I don't mind it. But beef is my first choice.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:40 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Turkey, by far.... Hamburger is not good for you!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Aug. 16, 2009