Now that you're a mom, do you cook the same as your parents did for you or different?

My mom (german) and dad (italian) cook things in butter, use lots of salt and always had junkfood around the house. I didn't know any better growing up but when I got pregnant with my 1st child I decided it was definitely time to make a change! My mom and dad don't understand it lol.. they think how they cook is fine. I want to set a better example for my kids and not to mention my tastebuds have changed from pregnancy for the better. I use cooking spray instead of butter, turkey/chicken/pork instead of ground beef or red meat, lots of fruits and veggies and sugary snacks occassionally. It's really hard when I go to their house though because they just loooove giving my kids crap food! I guess that's natural grandparenting, though....

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My mom was the one that had a meal planned for each day of the week. So she probably had about a total of 7-10 normal everyday meals that we ate, and maybe something different about once a month. Whenever I got married and started cooking, I already knew how to cook everything she made, so I started teaching myself new recipes. Now I rarely cook the same thing twice in a month.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My mom grew up vegetarian. So she cooked meat, but was not good at it. She cooked a lot of potatoes dishs, she grew up on them.

When I became an adult I stoped making potaoes for a long time. I started eating more rice.

Answer by louise2 at 10:09 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My mom's idea of cooking was throwing some meat in the broiling pan with some garlic powder and broiling the heck out of it. And she wonders why I'm a vegetarian. I cook mostly veggie for us. We have a more balanced sense of proteins and veggies. It is never the same every week. and it is much healthier in general.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:18 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My mom really never learned how to cook.She thought she would never get married because she could not have children.So she only knew how to cook like 7 or 8 meals.My dad new how to cook and we ate a lot of microwave food.I am adopted.I on the other hand learned from cook books and learned a lot from my husband and I invent things.I am a great cook and my mother was a bad cook.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 10:19 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Not at all. We eat a plant based diet (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, chocolate), any my parents were steak-and-potato eaters.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:20 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• 50/50

I mean there are family favorites that my family has passed down for generations and I make them for special occasions and I prepare them exactly the way my mother and grandmother prepared them.

However, I also cook foods my mother wouldn't have thought to make and I do alot of it from scratch. While my mom did make some things homemade - she work as a nurse so she used short cuts at times (except for holidays) I try to make things using fresh veggies, spices and ways of cooking them she wouldn't have thought to use or perhaps weren't readily available in the local grocer's shelves then. My husband is Asian so we stir fry a lot. The more I travel the more my palate expands and I bring those dinning experiences home and try to recreate them. More TV cooking shows I watch also helps give me new ideas to try. Using less butter, leaner cuts of meat and even meatless meals some nights helps round out healthier meals
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• lets just say i was spoiled and my mawmaw cooked for everyday and i cannot cook 4 nothing this world i do box food..... i attempt to cook sometimes but its never as good as mawmaws
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 11:01 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• lol.. my mom and stepdad couldn't cook for anything.. they burned grilled cheese. My stepdad had a few 'basic' recipies that he would make, but they were always bland and boring. I learned how to cook the basics from my grandfather (on my dad's side).
    Now that I"m older.. I really hate to cook. I'd sooo prefer to have someone else do it for me. But since I have to, I've been trying to branch out from what I know and make stuff that is new for me. I get tips from my best friend who's Mexican, so my food is never bland or boring. I'm getting pretty good, and at times I actually enjoy cooking now! I do mostly box food but I always add my own seasonings to it. Never had any complaints!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I grew up on a farm, we raised our veggies, my parents cooked a big meal every evening, it was the norm but we worked it off being outside all day. As we got older and they quit farming and we became teenagers they changed the way we ate and only had one big meal on Sundays. So that's how I cook now. We do salad, tuna sandwiches, easy stuff... I steam veggies.. The only thing I didn't take with me was planting a garden every yr. That's what I want to start doing next yr.
    I have found that using the "real" stuff and not fake makes food taste so much better. It's just the amount you eat that makes all the difference.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:27 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• The people I lived with.. Well. I found her dead when I was 13. Her DH was baking bread. That smell is the Death smell to me! She Was Ill often. Guess that's why she stole me from the hospital where she worked as A RN. I don't remember too many meals Seriously,. What her DH made Was Crap!! Like Raw Meat Sandwiches,. Shakey soup which was pure Fat & Bones. Oxtails, liver Etc... Wow I don't know how I grew up! With instant oatmeal & Catain Crunch Cereal Etc... When I was between 13-14 I had some Kind Neighbors that Fed me. They were Elderly & Loved to cook. I'd clean house & pet Sit & I'd get Fed! Most of my Recipes & meals I perfected. Some how some way all my own! People Rave on my Recipes. I'm an original. Learned from no one Really! But Can basically make or creeate anything I've ever had in A restaurant & make it my own! I have my own Recipe book of my Tried & true Linda's Recipes. My DD's, DH, Grandsons love my cooking!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:06 PM on Aug. 16, 2009