going back to work in 2 weeks; baby wont take bottle!

my breastfed daughter emma wont take a bottle. she is 8 or 9 weeks old. my first daughter now 3 was breastfed until 8 months and took to avent bottles just fine, with a little fight, not this bad. i have tried nursing emma, taking her off and giving her the bottle, sitting her on the boppy, other people tried feeding her. i tried the gerber nuk bottle, i just tried the playtex drop in nurser bottle. she just cries until she gets tired and sleeps then wakes up again crying. in the hospital they would take her in the nursery and she had those ready to eat bottles of enfamil and i brought home a case which i gave her once a week when she was fussy and she ate the whole bottle, but now she wont even touch those! i am sick to my stomach that she will just cry and cry at daycare the 2 days she is there, and the 1 day she will be with my mom. went to a funeral this week and thats all she did too was cry for my mom. i need help!!!

MissLivsMom

Asked by MissLivsMom at 10:33 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you new you were going to go back to work, Why didn't you just pump from the begining and put it in a bottle.So you would not have this problem. Common sense to me.

Answer by louise2 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Someone else needs to give her the bottle, with you out of sight.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i have been pumping the whole time i have been home. we didnt try the bottle until a few weeks ago and haven't found the right bottle i guess. i have been dumping bags of milk because she hasnt been drinking it, it goes bad, i still have a few bags in the freezer. she doesnt take pacifiers either. and i do have common sense, i just have a picky baby on what she will accept. thats why i come on cafe mom to reach out to other NICE moms that may have had the same problem.
    MissLivsMom

Answer by MissLivsMom at 10:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i was at a funeral and a wake this week. the wake i was gone for 2 hours and my mom had her and she just cried the whole time. the funeral i was gone for 3 or 4 hours and again she just cried the whole time and wouldnt take the bottle from my mom.
    MissLivsMom

Answer by MissLivsMom at 10:46 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Go to work. If she gets hungry enough she'll take a bottle. There is NOTHING wrong with her waiting for mom. It's called reverse cycling. Just make sure you're nursing her on demand when you're at home.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:47 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i work 3 12 hours days. and i am going to pump as much as i can while i am at work. i am just hoping she wont scream for hours on end.
    MissLivsMom

Answer by MissLivsMom at 10:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• You sound like you've tried different bottles, tried different people, and tried different positions..

Have you tried when she's REALLY sleepy? Like in the middle of the night -- don't let her wake up herself, get up before she wakes up herself at a usual feeding time and try bottle-feeding then. Maybe she'll take it then and then continue to take them after that. Maybe.

If that doesn't work.. you just may have to wait to go back to work until she takes bottles. It would be extremely unhealthy for your daughter not to eat anything while you're at work.. And there is research out there that indicates that babies who cry and cry without their needs being met can get brain damage or developmental delays..

Go to your pediatrician and tell them your predicament and you can probably get a note from them so you can apply for family leave to take care of your daughter for a couple more months.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I disagree with reverse cycling. Most babies natural circadian rhythms dictate that they SLEEP at NIGHT -- not nurse and eat all night and wait all darn day for food.

Yes, she could go 8 hours without food and be okay. But not if she's screaming the entire time.

It is possible she could scream the entire time or worse still, give up and start believing that mommy has abandoned her and isn't going to feed her when she's hungry.

I'm not saying that WILL happen. She might start taking bottles without a lot of fussing.. but .. it's not healthy for a baby to scream and scream and scream and FINALLY wimperingly and exhausted -- give up and take a bottle. That's horrible.

JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:55 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• You could also attempt sippy cups.

I forgot about that.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:01 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Also, your mom..

Has she tried taking the baby outdoors?

Whenever anyone babysits my son, the only way they can keep him from crying for me is to take him outside and go in the shade under trees / beside the house and let him look around and touch things (he's 5 months so he's very touchy right now).
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2009