At what age did you take your child to the dentist for the first time?

MamaDiedrich

Asked by MamaDiedrich at 10:37 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• We started regular (every six months) checkups at 18 months. She turns 14 next week and has never had a cavity.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:40 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We just went last week for the first time. My son is 3 1/2. My older kids went about the same age too, I guess. I cant remember. THey just did a quick look and counted his teeth. He was able to tell me that he had a bit of an overbite, but felt it was genetic after looking at all my kids teeth. I didnt readily disclose to him the he has a passy that he just gave up...for the second time...LOL. He said that he will clean them next time. They like to start that about 4 yrs old. Every dentist is different. He did scream his head off, so I think he needs about 6 more months to get with the program...LOL.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:49 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I used to work in a dental office, and I started my kids at age 2. My oldest took to it on the 1st appointment, he got in the chair, opened up and had no problems. My 2nd and 3rd were more timid and afraid. With my 2nd I asked the receptionist to add extra time to the oldests appointment and then I would take the 2nd in to check out the room, sit in the chair and we gradually worked up to him taking a turn. He was about 3 1/2 when he was comfortable enough to be checked and cleaned. My youngest is 3 and still very hesitant-- so I am doing the same with him.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:52 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• my dd was about 2.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We haven't taken our son yet and he is 3 years old.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Our pediatrician and pediatric dentist both said 2 years old. there really is no need to bring them sooner unless there is an issue or an accident where the teeth may have been damaged

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My DD's first time was two, my DS's went for the first time when he was two, though his dentist now suggests children going as soon as they have teeth! I was shocked, I have no idea how they expect a child that young to sit still or even be agreeable to being examined!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 1:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My son was 11 months when he was seen for the first time for just a routine exam. Had his first cleaning at 1 year old and has had regular cleanings (every 6 months) since then and he's 4 1/2
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:10 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• "I have no idea how they expect a child that young to sit still or even be agreeable to being examined! "

It's not easy and most of the time they have to be put in a papoose wrap but it's crucial to start dental care early on. Also the sooner you start bringing them in, the easier they get used to going to the dentist. The first few times my son freaked out but by the time he was 2 he was a pro at it and enjoys going to the dentist, even helps them examine him and do the xrays. It's really no different than taking your child for their regular checkups at any doctors, they don't like visits of any kind but you still take them.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:14 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Between the age of 1-2 so they could get used to the environment and having someone else looking inside their mouth. Even if they didn't want to open their mouth for the dentist, the dentist still makes "friends" with the child and gathers important information from the mom. All pediatric dentists should encourage the child to sit on mom or dad's lap in the exam room.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2009