help! baby chihuahua

HI everyone,
i am coming into possession of a 8 wk old chihuahua. i have not had a dog since i was a child. What do i do to take care, what food brand do you use, wet or dry dog food. what shots do dogs need? I am looking forward to getting her btw.
Thanks everyone

aidensmyangel

Asked by aidensmyangel at 10:41 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Pets

• About the shot. Find a Vet and they will tell you what shots he or she will need. When my chihuahuas were babies I put a cat collar with a bell on them. They are so small I was afraid I would step on one of them. Puppies do not have good teeth. Soft food at first.

Answer by louise2 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Chihuahuas - See this site for chi Experts - Lots of help for new chi pet parents...

chihuahua feeding and vitamins : Best foods for your Chi:

NuVet vitamins for chihuahuas:

see here:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chihuahuas-3344/

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 10:50 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• You'll need to take the pup to a vet for the shots and he will tell you there what he needs. Along with shots are heart worm meds and flea preventatives. That visit never fails to put a dent of at least $150 in my bank. You will probably discuss when to spay/neuter too and they may go ahead and set a date to do that. As for food, I feed taste of the wild. Supermarket brands of food are junk. They are full of fillers such as corn and by-products that dogs are often allergic to. visit. www.dogfoodanalysis.com for reviews of different brands of food. Then look at your pet stores to see what is available to you.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• get a few different kinds of treats for it,also get a crate or something to put her in while u r out becouse they will potty in the house and chew on stuff.get some chew toys as well.and a ball
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I have two chihuahuas and the only major difference when buying supplies is to make sure you have a stepping stool for her to get up and down from your bed/sofa... so many small breeds get hurt as puppies because of jumping down from high places. Chihuahuas also tend to have sensitive stomachs so be careful with toys and raw hides. For food I would suggest wellness brand. Its expensive but very high quality ingredients and very little garbage. At first you have to gradually switch foods... You'll find plenty of answers if you google it.. Good luck and if you need any more help pm me :)
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2009