My 3 year old son wants nothing to do with preschool. He says "I am not going to preschool." Any advice on changing his attitude?

He is really attached to his family and is VERY shy around people he doesn't know. HELP!!

Asked by Frankie64 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell him it's going to be fun and he will make some friends that he can play with. My daughter was the same way now she is in 2 grade and loves school.

Answer by Angel267 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Take him for a visit. My son was sooo excited to go after he saw all of the toys and the play ground equipment. Take it for a test drive!!!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Just an "out of the box" answer: Do you NEED him to go? So you can work, etc. If not, do your own preschool at home. There are tons of free sites to get all kinds of cool worksheets and things so he learns all the same things as the other kids. It will give him another year to mature and maybe he will feel more interested then! It is not worth scarring him to learn the little things YOU can teach him! Like I said, just another option.

Answer by nova8 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Are there any mommy and me playgroups in the area? If there is it is a great way to ease him into the pre-school scene so to speak. My town does not offer pre-school so my daughter has to wait until she is 5 to go to kindergarten. She has been going to a mommy and me playgroup(with MY mom, I work) since 18 months and she can't wait to start school as a "big girl"! Hope this helps

Answer by momto1727 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2008