Are you a weirdo?

So you stand before a mob of screaming secular worldly minded people....are you being called a weirdo for Jesus?

Do you see the men and women standing along roadways and highways holding their signs that read, "need money....will work for food...etc...? Do you pull over and hand them cash? Do you call them a weirdo?

Then why is it so hard for some of you to pay a minister's wage for his work? Do you believe that a man of God deserves to be paid for his work? I don't mean a man in a 3 piece suit that stands behind a maple pulpit in a big fancy building.....I am talking about men that roam the highways and the byways seeking souls to lead to Jesus.
Or do you smirk and mock and call him a weirdo?

bloodbought

Asked by bloodbought at 10:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with you IhartU. This is my biggest gripe concerning people who put a price tag on the Lord's Work and God's Word. It's just wrong. The Apostles ministered AND THEY WORKED A JOB for their daily bread (and probably went home with someone for dinner too on occasion. LOL). They felt taking money tainted their work and the Good news of the Gospel. Jesus didn't need money and He wouldn't have taken it had it been offered. He did miracles that provided for others as well as met his physical needs - such as eating and drinking a beverage. If a person who is delivering the Word of God and doing the Lord's work can't do it as freely as it was given to them, then they need to stop doing it. MPO.

wildflowergal

Answer by wildflowergal at 3:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• Ummmmm what is the point of this? Seriously, shouldn't you be in church or something??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• No, I would never give money to someone who was walking around on the highway trying to "save" people any more than I would give money to YOU for wasting your time preaching on here. That's not how you convert people. This kind of person just drives me farther away from Christianity.......I really wish some of you would get that into your heads.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I get the great opportunity to go to the bigger city 180 miles to see my neurosurgeon and other doctors a couple times a month and I see a lot that is going on. Perhaps because I do not get out much and really have no desire to do so. I like living in the middle of no where and having to drive a mile to the road. It is peaceful, beautiful and quiet. If I happen to fall down because my balance is off I can do so privately and make my way into the house and all is well.
    Anyways, I have noticed more and more men, women and children standing along the intersections and else where holding their cardboard signs. Some people stop and give them money and some do not. Some people get aggrivated and some do not.
    What I noticed Friday was a man with a long beard and sort of tired looking. A bit weathered. He had a walking stick and that I was looking at when some kids drove by in their pick up and threw apples at him. He didn't move...
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 10:56 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• i do give money to homeless people or i give them food, i make enough bills are paid and have money to splurge, so i donate to food shelf's and shelters, i figure what is 3-5 bucks to me.. not much and if it helps them, so be it . oh and anon my church dont start till 11am :P
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• cont....
    I got a little irritated and my husband pulled over.
    The man just simply smiled and put his hand out and called my husband "brother"...I then saw that he carried a well used Bible under his arm and as they stood there talking another car drove by and yelled "WEIRDOS"...
    So I would just like to know why the man that carries the walking stick and Bible is a weirdo and all the ones holding signs get cash.
    Are you weird enough to be a weirdo for Jesus?
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 10:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Are you talking about people who are poor and starving, or people who are trying to convert others to Christianity? There's a big difference. I have no sympathy for those who are trying to convert. I do feel sorry for the poor.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I'm weird enough to be an open atheist in this world that Christianity thinks it controls. I'm weird enough to be an open atheist in the deep heart of the south, in the Bible Belt. I'm weird enough to be an open atheist in my family full of devout Christians and one deist, my dad.

I do not give money to panhandlers. You never know who's legit and who's not.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• does it matter if they are legit or not.. really i mean 3-5 bucks is chump change to give it wont affect ur day and if it helps them so be it if they are not legit oh well its only 3-5 bucks
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• red at 7:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 by: anarose26
    i do give money to homeless people or i give them food, i make enough bills are paid and have money to splurge, so i donate to food shelf's and shelters, i figure what is 3-5 bucks to me.. not much and if it helps them, so be it . oh and anon my church dont start till 11am :P
    ~~~~
    Thank you for your help to others.
    My husband will buy someone food or shoes or even give them his coat; but he won't pay for cigs. and booze.
    He brought a family of 5 home one day and they stayed until they could get a car and go back to California. That was different but they were pretty nice; just in a tough spot.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 11:05 AM on Aug. 16, 2009