When do you ditch the sippy cups?

At what age did you stop using sippy cups? Maybe just keep a few for traveling? I'm so sick of a cabinet full of cups and lids and all that carp...

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 10:53 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had sippy cups for my boys until they were about 3. And they were only for in the car or if they were sitting at the coffee table with their snack, so they wouldn't spill. They were never allowed to carry them around all day. At any other time they had a normal cup. I don't think after age 3 we ued them anymore.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:32 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I still have a few. My son is 3 1/2. He can drink out of a regular cup, but I dont want him spilling it so I let him have a cup. I only have 2 or 3 of them so I dont have to keep up with too many. My son doesnt have a cup at his disposal whenever he wants. He drinks and eats with the other kids at meal time. Occasionally he will get a drink in between meals but he has never really been one to carry his cup around all the time. I think thats a bad habit. I think its whenever you feel they are ready to drink out of a regular cup. Also in the car, its better to have a lid so they dont spill. I prefer straws to sippy cups.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:58 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My son is 3 and I got rid of all of his sippy cups. We have no cups with straws in them, he drinks out of little plastic cups and does a good job. It took a few spills, but now he does great lol.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We still have them and my son is 3. It is just easier than a cup. He isn't mindful enough to have a real cup.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:43 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My youngest is 3 and hasn't had a sippy in over a year. She was drinking from a regular cup at 17 months and by the time she turned 2 she was rarely using them so I got rid of all the old ones. By 2 1/2 we got rid of the rest. She was drinking from a regular water bottle by then.
    My older kids used them a lot longer because my middle daughter had major issues with spilling ever single drink she had. And she would take everyone's cup so all the kids had to have sippies. They were 3 1/2, 4 1/2 and almost 6 when I was able to let the older 2 have regular cups IF they remembered to keep them put high where she couldn't reach them. The younger one used them until she was 4 and moved to cups with lids and straws (brought home from restaurants). Now they all use regular cups and the middle dd is almost 7 and still spills all the time, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:08 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My son has a straw sippy that he uses when he leaves the house and near nap time/bed time during story times. He can drink from a cup very well, however he enjoys being able to sit on the couch and drink his "juice" while we read his stories. I like him having a drink when we play out side and if we go out so that I do not have to worry about him dehydrating.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• We stopped using sippy cups around the house at 2 years old, used them until he was around 3 for when we were out and about. He's been completely off of them since the age of 3 and he's 4 1/2 now.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• "I like him having a drink when we play out side and if we go out so that I do not have to worry about him dehydrating. "

Maybe get him a sports water bottle?
    My son thought that was the best thing when I bought him his own sports water bottle for when he's outside playing so he doesn't have a "baby cup" as he calls them but still don't have to worry about them spilling or stuff getting in it..

KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• My kids are 4 and 2 and both drink from a regular cup just fine, but I have to send the little one to school with a sippy 2x per week and when we go out I prefer to pack water in a sippy or straw top with lid or it would be everywhere...I think you've all convinced me that its time to scale down to just a few...yay, more cabinet space!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:38 PM on Aug. 16, 2009