A taxing question

I feel really stupid, because I really haven't got a clue. But, why do people say if marijuanna were to become legal, you couldn't tax it, because people grow it in their backyards and basements?
Don't people grow tobacco and tomatoes...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If marijuana were legal, the agribusinesses who brought us Genetically modified soy and corn with built in roundup, will grow marijuana and price the back yard growers out of the market.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:05 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Good point. ... and although I know that marijuana is much more dangerous that tobacco, and a bit more damaging than alcohol, I do see that IF ... IF ... it were to be legalized, then it could readily be put under the same restrictions as both cigarettes and liquor.

People can make their own liquor, too, and they don't get taxed on the sale of it.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Um...how is marijuana more dangerous than alcohol? And yeah...alcohol in backyard stills is illegal. Now...if marijuana was taxed it would fall under the 'sin' tax,same as alcohol and ciggarettes. But I don't drink..and I don't drive drunk,so don't think I'm going to go out and kill someone with my car on ciggarettes...are you?
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 1:37 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• starrsun, you can buy wine and beer making kits and supplies at a number of places around here. I've even seen vodka kits. It's not illegal to make alcohol. I think it's illegal to SELL your own homemade alcohol.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:51 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Afraid I cannot answer your challenge about how marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol because I didn't say it is.

It is more dangerous than tobacco.

It is more DAMAGING than alcohol because of the harm to mental ability to focus and have will-power. ... for myself, I deplore the harm to one's liver which alcohol causes, but the mental consequences of marijuana are subtler and sneaky - since many people are unaware of them or even deny them.

And what on earth does that last sentence about driving on cigarettes have to do with anything?? Apparently ALL the words of my answer got blurred together into one long rearranged sentence in your mind and you think I criticized tobacco as causing car accidents ... ??
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:56 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• If they got rid of income taxes and just upped the sales taxes then they wouldn't have to worry about people making under the table money.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:02 AM on Aug. 17, 2009