Family...

Does anybody else have relatives that treat you a little bit differently because you don't have as much money as them? If so, how do they treat you differently...for example do they offer to lend you money a lot, or do they ignore you at family gatherings, etc etc??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• nope, my family doesn't really pay a lot of attention to money although many have it. They tend to respond to a person according to their personality. Some of us have given up on finding happiness with material things and have decided to be "rich" in who we are as people. I inherited a great deal of money and it all got embezzled leaving me with almost nothing. It took time but I realized my happiness comes from within (sappy I know but it's true). I have just what I need and I can't deviate from my tight budget but I'm happier than I ever have been. So next time they do that, hold your head up high and show them the confidence you have in yourself as a person. Smile and know they are probably deep in debt and you are rich with love for life! The smile will make them wonder, too! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 12:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• yes and they ignore us and family functions
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Yes! I have 1 Aunt and Uncle who think they are soooo much better than the rest of us, cause he is a big shot at a major car manufacturing company. They like to 'name drop' and act like they are so high and mighty and important.... They live in another state- so we hardly ever see them- yay! Personally I can't stand them and don't care if I never see them or hear from them again.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:48 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• No, we all generally make the same amount of money, but I do have family members that think theyre better parents than the rest of us and think they their crap doesnt stink. Theyve even verabalized that they think they love their kids more because they homeschool and never let their kids do anything because they might be corrupted by other peoples kids. So family functions can be tense but not because of financial status, but because of judgment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I have some cousins that think they are high and mighty because the have a masters degree and have studied more.I do not see why.I have a house own a business ,take care of my kids.There mom used to sleep with all kinds of men and was never home .I know this because she always dropped them off at my dads house.There father passed away so my dad made a promise to his brother to watch over them.Now that they are liuetenats,chief firefighters,and in charge of their division they hardly ever talk to me.I harldy ever speak to my family plus they treat me different because I am adopted and some of my parents family do not accept me because I am not one of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• it can be the other way around. My SO is a big shot but an extremely modest guy if u met him. if u asked him what he does he'll say security guard or janitor and i am a SAHM. so yes we do get to do alot of things my family or some friends don't and yes we do buy material things but thats not totally who we r. It sucks that my family and some friends ask what we bought or where were goin as if we r some type of show. I dont go around flashing money so why the hell is it that ppl are rude enough to ask how much we spent on this or that. my family always asks for money as if were an atm. some ppl automatically think im a snob just because we have nice thgs and we drive a bmw. Its really annoying when ppl assume that we think were better then everyone else. I'll admit some ppl r like that but not me. I'm sure everyone could think of a few things or a few lifestyle changes that u would make if u could afford it. sorry i had to vent
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Aug. 17, 2009

• we have siblings and cousins who completely ignore us. the ones who don't ignore us are rude to us. then when we confront them about it, they act like everything is fine and that they don't need to apologize for being so rude. if somebody says something rude, and they are well aware that it was rude and that it upset somebody, they should apologize. that is the decent thing to do. guess our family just isn't decent. a lot of them have a lot of money, and they are stuck-up and so involved with themselves, they can't even acknowledge when somebody is verbally trying to tell them something! Pathetic. what's even worse is that we had to travel 3 hours to see them. and for what. so they can play with the baby. there is nothing like feeling like you have to make "small talk" just to get your relatives to talk to you. what a huge waste.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Aug. 17, 2009