Frontline Question

When is it safe to put frontline on a Chihuahua Puppy ? Ours Is 9 1/2 weeks old the package says 8 weeks ....but I'm still worried because shes so little....Anyone else use frontline on your puppy and what age weight is safe?Lucy barely moves the needle on a regular scale so I am having a hard time seeing what she weighs lol im guessing maybe a pound or just under : / Any suggestions?

koolest_mom_of4

Asked by koolest_mom_of4 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Hmmm, good question for the vet I would say. My husband used to work for a vets office and he saw a lot of animals come in with burned skin from flea drops because the aniumals skin was too sensitive for the product. With that said, they saw 8 weeks generally because that is how long it takes for their skin to be able to handle the product. Plus, Frontline is better than the products you buy in the store. The small dog Frontline should be ok for your puppy, but I would call the vet if you are unsure about his size. If you are still nervous, start with just a small portion of the dosage and see how he reacts. If he tolerates it well, you can finish applying the full amount.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• On the packaging of every frontline there is a weight given for that specific one. Your puppy is very little at 9 1/2 weeks so I would try going with something a little more sensitive like a flea collar for now. When she gets full size which is around 6-7 months, it is completely safe to use these products but I wouldnt just yet.
    Good luck! I have two chihuahuas and love them to death! They are furry children lol.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 3:20 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I waited for my rat terrier (Who is now an adult and only 9lbs) until she was 12wks. I used the warning on other flea and tick products' labels, and THEY suggest 12wks.

However, if you have a flea problem now, ask your vet for Adam's Flea and tick spray. It works wonders. you can put some on your puppy, but spray it point blank so that it gets directly on the skin and not just the fur. Don't dowse her in it, but you can get a good 3 or 4 stripes down her back, between her ears, the base of her tail, on her neck/chest, and one quick spray on her belly. It won't make her sick, we've used that stuff for years.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2009