How can I heal cracked/bleeding nipples?

I just had my baby 5 days ago and I am breastfeeding.. My nipples are very sore, scabbed and cracked.. Other than Lanisoh lotion.. what can I do?

imissmybubba

Asked by imissmybubba at 12:01 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As often as you can use your own breastmilk to rub over your nipples-let them air dry. After they air dry you can add lanisoh. Breastmilk has healing properties so this is probably your best bet.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• The Lanolin cream is one of the better things out there.
    Here is a great page all about healing cracked nipples.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplehealing.html

Just ended the battle with a bad crack myself.

You do want to make sure that the problem is not bad position and or latch problems, because none of this will help if the cause of the cracking is not resolved.

Talk to you B/f consultant for really great tips/tricks sometimes it really helps if your there in person, so they can see how you are doing and give you ''feedback'' right away.

Hopes this helps!!!
    Congrats on the little on and on B/fing
    Just don't give up! all of this will be over in no time and B/F will get easier and better!
    speaking from experience !! lol

Cheers!
    Mama-Jess11

Answer by Mama-Jess11 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Oh! an other thing you can also do is once nipples are clean and dry express a few drops of milk and rub it on the nipples
    Mama-Jess11

Answer by Mama-Jess11 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• When I had my daughter I had problems with this. What I suggest are these http://awaybabyessentials.com/item_34/Medela-TheraShells-Breast-Shells.htm You can put them in your bra after nursing and it helps keep them dry so they will heal faster. Using the lotion as well... This is what I did and it worked wonders. I still use them at times if my nipples are sore. Those really work wonders.
    Charlies_mommy

Answer by Charlies_mommy at 1:11 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I've heard a lil olive oil wud help didn't try it the lanolin ointment from medela worked well
    miasmama07

Answer by miasmama07 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• also try ice packs on them it helped me a lot
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 7:07 PM on Aug. 16, 2009