Are you an arrogant Christian?

Are you often called arrogant, mean and just plain old nasty?

What is the motive for all that?

Why do you choose to be outspoken?

bloodbought

Asked by bloodbought at 12:03 PM on Aug. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've often thought of this myself.It's like christians are expected to just set back and not speak up with the truth.If we do It isn't considered christian to do so,we are labled judgemental.And unfortunatly there are many christians that feel the same way.As christians we should speak out.We are christ's ambassadors.But we are not to speak the truth with hate.But out of love and compassion .Because ,yes we are all sinners.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Paul once wrote a disciplinary letter to the Christian church at Corinth (this letter is now known as 1 Corinthians). They were doing a lot of nasty, un-Christian things; for example, they were hoarding food and getting drunk at church, and they were proud of the fact that there was incest among some members. After Paul wrote to tell them that these things should not be so, many responded by saying, "Who does he think he is, telling us what to do in our church? How arrogant!" (2 Corinthians 10:10, my own very loose paraphrase)

In our society, it is generally considered arrogant to voice one's moral principles, especially if they happen to come from the Bible. But for a Christian, the Bible is THE source of moral guidance. If a Christian makes a moral statement that is based on biblical teaching, he or she is not automatically guilty of acting "superior" to everyone else. In fact, a consistent Christian would not only point
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 12:04 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• cont...
    In fact, a consistent Christian would not only point out the difference between right and wrong but they would also freely admit that they are just as sinful as the next guy. In other words, to proclaim what God says is right or wrong is not automatically the same as arrogance.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 12:05 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• im not a arrogant christian...im not a christian at all lol.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I don't think anyone has a problem with people voicing their moral principles, IF that's what someone is actually doing. I think people have a problem when those moral principles turn into hate speech and insults. There is a difference. Someone can speak the truth in love, even if it's not popular, without turning the corner and adding darkness to their message. Some people who do this do not even realise that they are doing it. Yes, sometimes speaking the truth in love does get people angry with "the speaker." But when everyone gets angry at what "the speaker" has said...perhaps "the speaker" is wise to consider the opinions of others and consider a different choice of words to share their message so that it is more effective. Everything we say about Jesus and his words should EDIFY others, not drive them away.

Am I an arrogant Christian? I can be an arrogant person. God is working with me on that :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I like Paul.
    Many women don't; but I do. I understand him.
    He was a made up mind.
    He knew where he came from and he knew where he was going and everything else would just have to come in where it could.
    There was no place for Paul to falter...his eyes were set on the finish line and he was determined to get there if it would just end up being him and Jesus. The one that he had mocked....the Christians that he had killed. He now knew the God/Jesus that he had been persecuting.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 12:09 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I have no problem with Paul. He was a passionate and truthful man. His message and harsh Christian correction was directed at people who were already-Christians, had a reason to stop sinning but didn't. His corrections of Christians who should know better and are ignoring the Holy Spirit are not appropriate for non-believers who do not have the Holy Spirit and have not yet a reason to stop sinning. Belief must come BEFORE repentence. Without belief in Christ, you have no reason to repent. We should share Christ's message FIRST and then let the Holy Spirit do his job and lead his believers into repentence (helping along the way if we are asked of led to do so).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:12 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Here's how I constantly see the scenario go...

Christian: "REPENT! [insert harsh repentence message here]"
    Non-believer: "Why?"
    Christian: "Because God wants you to!"
    Non-believer: "Who's God?" or "I don't believe in God."

it's a vicious obnoxious cycle that way and draws no one to him.

When it should be us sharing Jesus FIRST and then expecting a BELIEVER to repent because they now have a reason to do so.

JMHO of course ;-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:16 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• I'm an arrogant agnostic atheist, I guess. We're expected to sit back and take whatever everyone else says. I think the atheist message is the most unwelcome of all.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2009

• Great job Novemberlove : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:00 PM on Aug. 16, 2009